Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Scope magnification for 200 yard benchrest (Read 10660 times)
Vic
Ex Member

Scope magnification for 200 yard benchrest
Aug 15th, 2005 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Hello, I'm new to Schuetzen and tried out my first one last weekend and had a lot of fun.  I used my two BCPR rifles (Ballard in 40-50SS and Shiloh Sharps in 45-70) in the "big bore iron sight" category.

If I understand correctly, I could enter into the "center fire" category, but I would then be competing with the smaller calibers.  I've thought about putting a scope on either rifle so I could try out the "center fire scoped" category.  I'll keep to the traditional categories, so I understand I need to use the Unertl/Targetspot type of scopes with external adjustments.

I've thought about installing a MVA 6X scope, so I could use my rifle for both Schuetzen and BPCR scoped competitions... but I"m not sure how much I'm sacrificing for the 200 yard bench rest matches by using a 6X versus a 12X or 24X... Any comments on that issue?  If there is a difference in shooter performance, then I may consider getting dedicated scopes for each type of competition and not try to settle for a compromise.  Any advice appreciated.  Thanks.

Vic

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: Scope magnification for 200 yard benchrest
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2005 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Generaly for bench rest shooting the higher the magnification the better. The trade off is as the magnification goes up so does mirage. If you were just going to shoot Bench rest schuetzen I would tell you to get something in the 24 to 32 power range. but to do both 6 power should do fine.

40 Rod

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2005 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Vic,

You are correct about the type of scopes needed for Traditional Rifle Class matches. But... That would only apply to WSU rules as they differentiate between Traditional and Open Class. ASSRA rules don't put any restrictions on what scope you can use. Of course, matches where you shoot might have specific rules on this that you should check out.

I agree with what 40_Rod says. I use a 30x Lyman STS for bench shooting. As 40_Rod says the higher the magnification the more mirage will show up. But, for me, I like to see the mirage as well defined as possible and will even take my scope out of focus slightly in order to see it better.

Not being into Shilouette shooting I believe that Unertl type scopes are not legal so if you want one scope to do both jobs you'll have to settle for the highest power scope you can get that is legal.

You will sacrifice some scoring ability with a 6x scope as vs any higher magnification, but not a lot. The thing to remember is "If you can't see it, you can't hit it!".

Personally I'd say if you can afford it I'd go for three scopes, actually. You'll want to try your hand at offhand someday and about a 10x scope seems to work best for most people, altho I know people that use double that.

PETE

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 8:14am
Print Post  
I don't have it in front of me now but from memory Col Whelen who trained thousands of Army riflemen as well as being a life long target shooter laid it out pretty well. He said the average eye is capable of resolving 100/1 Which roughly translates to 1 moa or 1 inch in a hundred yards.

Iron sights or a scope with no magnifiction have the same resolution.  Scopes improve this 1 moa figure by there power. In other words a 6 power scope can resolve to 1/6 of a inch at 100 yards. 10 power 1/10 of a inch 20 power 1/20 and so on.

In pratice there are diminishing returns as the scope gets more powerfull and mirage etc take effect.  But using those figures it would seem a 6 power 10 or 12 power like the typical external adjustment scope have very little difference in resolution under practical terms. 

Of course a true bench rest set up needs all it can get and 36 power is the norm for modern rifles as well as single shots that are full bench set up.  Look at a modern actioned Schuetzen at the bench rest leg of a match.  Except for the way the action works and the cast bullet they are no different than a modern bench rifle. Equipment wise traditonal rifles have no chance in a match with them.

Bench rest the siginfigant error for a rifle like you have would probably be the stock shape and how the rifle recoils on the bags.  I would not think in a match against other big bore Silouette stocked rifles you would suffer at all using the MVA 6 power

Boats

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
To point up what Boats said.... There is an excellent article in this months issue of The American Rifleman on optics and resolutions that would explain this in far more detail.

PETE

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Pete,

I just got Am Rifleman and have put that article aside for reading when I can get into it deep.

Good to see them running authoritive articles

Boats

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
After everone reads the American Rifleman article we might discuss the article, I have my own take on the matter and was wondering how others feel about optics.  leadball

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 8:03am
Print Post  
Leadball,

Would be glad to hear what you have to say, either pro or con, about the article. What very little I know about optics seemed to be about what the author was saying.

As boats was saying, it seems to be established that individuals can resolve to smaller angles than others, and I would expect this is true for optics. I know I was very surprised when I happened to mention one day that there was enuf haze in the air that I was having trouble seeing the 25 ring on the red target at 100 & 200 yds. Most said they couldn't even see it on a good day.

The same goes for optics. I have an 80 mm Kowa that will resolve things those spotting scopes with lesser front glass than mine. But, then again, when looking thru a Swarovski of the same diam., and at twice the price, the resolution is even better.

I've also found out that you have to keep the glass clean. Since we shoot GG bullets you get a certain amount of blow back from the lube and over time this coating on the lense will drastically cut down what you can see. Found this out last week when I was having trouble seeing .32 cal. bullet holes at 200 yds. Finally noticed this film on the lense, cleaned it off, and the contrast was like nite and day.

PETE

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
The average shooter [myself included] know less about optics than probably anyother aspect of the shooting game. Magnification is not all that important in a spotting scope, resolution is--would that statement be true.
      Back in the old days '50's" I would here shooters say that 12 or 16 power rifle scopes was all that was needed, IMO that may have been true in 1950 but it is not true today. I take my lead from the best shooters, who use 36X scopes, if it looks bigger then its probably eaiser to hit. I don't know a good shooter who went back to a 10 power scope after using a 36.    leadball
PS--waiting on a good 80 power scope

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
You shooters up Nawth maybe kin git by with a 36x, but down here anything over about 20-25x is largely wasted for about 9 mos out of the year. A good friend bought two 2" Unertls a couple of years ago, a 36x and a 24x. The following year he was peddling the 36x. At 98F & 90%, the 'water' in the mirage's "swimming pool" is just too deep to see through! My highest rifle scope power is a 20x & I don't feel disadvantaged.

But I WOULD like ta have one o' them 82mm 27x Kowas!
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
leadball,

You bet! Resolution is everything. I think this was brought out very well in the article.

As I get it resolution is the ability to distinguish objects at a distance at a given magnification. Magnification helps in this regard, but only to a certain extent. The front lense of your scope has to be large enuf, and have the proper quality, and coatings on it to gather as much lite as possible. This is why you pay more for the same thing on the better quality scopes, and anything else that has a lense system in it.

I thought the example the author gave between his buddies 8x30(?) and his 10x50 was a little poor. Naturally his binoculars would be better given the same quality lense system. What you need to do is compare apples to apples..... in this case it would be both being 8x30's or 10x50's. Then you could make a direct comarison.

A high quality Swarovski or Leica 8x30 will beat an average quality 10x50 as far as being able to resolve an object at a distance.

The other thing to remember is there is a lot of hype when it comes to selling any binoculor or spotting scope. Some make the claim that the exit (what you put your eye to) lense is, say, 7 or 8 mm. They use this to try and get you to believe their system is better than the others. Of course nothing is mentioned of this in the ads. It's just a figure thrown out for those who don't know any better. The problem is that your eye pupil can only expand to 5 mm, so any more light exiting the system can't be used by your eyes.

What is needed is an objective (front) lense as large as possible and of the best quality glass. It is this amount of light that is used by the magnification of the system to help you in resolving an object. This is pointed out by the fact that even the cheapest scopes will let you see an object well toward dark.

Also, the larger the objective lense the more magnifcation you can use to help you resolve an object. Ever notice how huge the camera lenses are that sports photographers use? They need these large lenses to gather enuf lite so they can use a higher magnification, and to keep the f-stops reasonable in order to capture fast moving action.

As shooters & hunters our real problem is that we just can't carry around a Mt. Palomar telescope with us.  Grin So everything becomes a tradeoff and is usually limited by what we can afford to pay.

You're right about shooters of the past using lower powered scopes than we use today. Schuetzen shooters like Pope thought that a 6x or 8x scope was more than adequate for offhand shooting. But, the bench shooters back then used the highest power they could get that would do the job. Part of the problem back then was the quality of the lenses. Back when 3/4", 1", or 1 1/4" objective lenses were the norm you just couldn't push them to 36x. As the power went up in these scopes things got dimmer till you reached a point where it affected your ability to see the target clearly enuf. You can easily check this out for yourself by taking a 1 1/4" Unertl and compare it with a 2 1/2" model of the same power. The latter will be noticeably brighter.

PETE
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2005 at 3:34pm by »  

IP Logged

Vic
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the information.  I read the Rifleman article and that was very interesting.  It sounds like around 12X would be good for both bench and offhand, I'll see what I can find.  Thanks again.

Vic

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint