Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lead Melters....... (Read 8254 times)
Nailman

Lead Melters.......
Aug 10th, 2005 at 12:40am
Print Post  
I need a new lead melter. Thinking of the 20 pounder one that Lee sells or the Lyman 20 dipper. Any comments or suggestions. THANKS....

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: Lead Melters.......
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Try the Rapine pot it's made of stainless steel. The pot has a nice wide lip to preheat your moulds. I have had mine for years and like it better than any of the others.

40 Rod

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 10:37am
Print Post  
  I've had two Lyman's, a SAECO, and an RCBS pot. Haven't tried the Rapine's that 40_Rod suggests, but of those I have I like the Lyman 20 pd. dipper. Unless things have changed, the last time I contacted SAECO they weren't making the pots or servicing them anymore. They suggested someone in Missouri who I never could get ahold of.

PETE

IP Logged

rwjshooter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 10:52am
Print Post  
HI Nailman
I am using a gas melter it's a turkey fryer with a cast iron pot holds in excess of 50lbs of alloy ,you can do your whole casting session on one melt rather than adding to the pot, of course this is ladel casting which I have found to be a better way for me.and must be done outdoors.Pricewise this not too expensive perhaps the cheapest.

Ray

IP Logged

plumloco

Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Hello
  Ditto on the turkey fryer! Dual purpose. I had a buddy make me  what looks like an upside down pie pan with a hole in the middle to fit my cast iron pot. It can hold 50+ lbs. And! it keeps the heat around the pot better. I had problems with out the heat sheild. Lead took too long to melt. Hope this helps?  Jesse

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Lee's pot is an excellent pot and a VERY good value. I have two RCBS's (one I bought new and one used) but if I had to replace either of them, I would go with the Lee.

Dale53

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
I just retired my 10 lb. Lee furnace after 20+ years. Actually it was still working, but I wanted something bigger to do more casting with.
I bought the Lee 20 lb. furnace at my local Sportsman's Warehouse for $64, which was less than I could have mail ordered it for! I love it! It's a much better system than the 10 lb was, and it's also a bottm pour, but large enought o easily dip from if you prefer that.
I'm giving the 10 lb. pot to my nephew, as I'll never go back now!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Mike65
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
I have to agree with Dale53 and Marlinguy, so far my Lee pot is hard to beat.  I have a propane fired plumber's pot (50#+) for getting the wheel weights or scrap cleaned up or for doing a lot of casting in one session but the 20# Lee works nice inside the garage with minimal fire hazard.  At the price of a Lee pot compared with Lyman or RCBS in the Midway catalog I can burn up 3-4 Lees before I reach the investment in either of the other two.  More money for powder I figure. Grin

Mike

IP Logged

rk4570
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Ive been casting large (500- 550) bullets for BPCRS fror the last 10 years & have tried a couple of the high dollar melters BUT the 1 I use the most is the 20lb. LEE. In fact the others are long gone! Smiley  Save the extra $$$ for something else!

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #9 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Let me chime in here and agree with the previous four posters.  When my old Lyman Mag 20 bottom pour went South on me, I followed good advice from Dale53 and got a Lee.  It is not quite so user friendly in some respects as the Lyman, but it heats faster and hotter than my Lyman ever did and I am quite happy with it now that I am learning its quirks.  Would I buy another one just like it?  You betcha!   Cheesy

Green Frog

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 11th, 2005 at 8:23am
Print Post  
And the biggest reason for buying a Lee 20# Pot, you can buy four or five of them for the price of a Lyman Pot.  leadball

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Aug 11th, 2005 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Nailman;
Read the complete discriptions of the Lee pots here:

Buy them here:

Dale53

IP Logged

singelshotman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Aug 11th, 2005 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
there 10# pot is hard to beat-the one that's on only top dipping-i always dip my bullets-i got tired of bottom-pour electric pots leaking and having to be cleaned out every time you used them. I too once owned a lyman but got rid of it because it leaked from the bottom all the time-also i found out you get better bullets when they are dipped.

IP Logged

Nailman

Reply #13 - Aug 20th, 2005 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Grin    Boy does that new Lee Lead Pot cast nice bullets. I had two lead pots burn out the same week. I was casting bullets and they were not filling out nice so I opened the sprue plate hole trying to get more hot lead in the mould. Boy was that a No-No.... All I needed was a new lead pot. The more I know the less I know.......Nailman.....

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Aug 20th, 2005 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
I've been casting since the '60s with a SAECO 10 lb pot that's older than I am, it's still going strong, wish I was. Youda thought it would have needed some sort of service, but not so far (knock on wood here). I also use a cast iron pot on my fish/turkey cooker, it holds 50-60 lbs & will melt it fast. Great for dip casting & replenishing the small pot.

But now you guys have got me seriously considering a new 20 lb Lee!

BTW to reduce the leakage past the bottom-pour pot's plug, I've found that it helps greatly to wire a lead weight to the handle, for added sealing pressure. It took me about two years of cursing before I figured this out. Sure makes it a lot less frustrating!
HTH, Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint