Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Needed: Glass Vials (Read 5422 times)
Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Needed: Glass Vials
Aug 4th, 2005 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Early this spring I came across a BPCR accessories supplier who advertised glass (or maybe plastic?) vials so a Shooter could load pre-measured charges @ the range.

For the life of me I can not recall the company's name. Or exactly where I saw the advertisement or link.

Does anyone else recall seeing such a product? 

I'm contemplating fabricating a wooden box to hold  glass vials of pre-measured charges to load @ the range a .25-20SS & a .32-40.

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Re: Needed: Glass Vials
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2005 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Ray, 

Not sure if this is the outfit you're looking for but it's where I got my Pyrex vials. The name is Kimble Glass Inc. Couldn't find any address but I'm sure you can do a Google and come up with it as that's what I did.

Most any business that supplies school labs, etc. will be able to help you out. Don't forget to order corks to!

Personally tho for what you want to load at the range I'd buy a decent powder measure like a Redding 3BR or Harrel. They will measure the fine grained smokeless powders you would use in the calibers you mention as close as you can get pre-measuring them.

I use the vials for pre-measured charges of BP for ML'ers. 1F is about impossible to throw from a measure so I that's the route I went. For 2F & 3F BP a good measure will be more than sufficient.

Another way... and cheaper..... is to buy some plastic tubing from Brownells along with caps to fit. Cut the tubing to the length you want and you're all set. I used this method many years ago. Not as neat looking in a nice wooden box tho.

PETE

IP Logged

plumloco

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2005 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Here is a place I found a little while ago. I haven't ordered from them yet. I have to find out what size I need to hold about 90 grains of BlackPowder. hope this works
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);  
  Jesse

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2005 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Years ago, I tried the "vial process". My friendly dentist supplied me with glass vials that "novacaine" came in. It worked ok, but I eventually did what all of the other benchrest shooters did. I learned to operate a good measure, properly, and quit fooling with the vials. Glass can be hazardous to your health. They break easily and become VERY sharp.

If I were going to do that today, I would definitely go with the Brownell's plastic tubing. If you use a "chop saw" you can easily cut the tubing into perfectly sized little vials after you come up with a simple jig (and after you determine what size you need). Much easier, faster, and more accurate than trying to cut them with scissors...

YMMV
Dale53

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2005 at 10:35am
Print Post  
As usual, I agree with my brother Dale, but if you insist on using some sort of glass container, another possible source might be insulin bottles...if you know someone who is on injected insulin, they go through those little bottles pretty quickly and once empty they aren't good for much else.  Carefully peel off the aluminum ring and the label and you have a nice little bottle with its own fitted rubber stopper.  8)

That said, I think that if there is sufficient surface to be loading at the range, there is sufficient surface for one of the current crop of excellent powder measures, but "whatever trips your trigger!"   Roll Eyes 

Froggie

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 5th, 2005 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
We use blood tubes for smokeless powder. You can get them generally from a lab. They are dated and the unused are discarded when expired. They may not be large enough for blackpowder.

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 5th, 2005 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Another alternative, I might humbly add, is one o' them thar new-fangled digital powder scales, in the battery-powered mode of course. Mine came with a little clear plastic wind cover/shield that works quite well.

Of course this will only suffice when you're East of the Mississippi "....where the wind don't blow"(?) (VBG) Those guys in the West are always whining about how their wind never gets below 40 mph & so it would blow their powder out of the pan before they could weigh it! (another VBG)

Still another alternative that I've used for years is prescription-type plastic pill bottles. For a while the child-proof caps defeated me, but with the able assistance (direction) of My Bride, I was finally able to master them.

Some may question the use of plastic bottles with black powder, and that's a legitimate concern IMO. However I see no problem with smokeless, does anyone out there disagree or have any info that indicates otherwise? This is serious stuff here & so we need all the info we can get.

Actually I have read somewhere that any static charge built up between the black powder and the plastic would be totally insufficient to ignite the powder, at least in the limited movement permitted by a powder measure. Well, that's all very well & good for the theory, but things might be a little different if the array was rattling around in the back of my F250 4x4, & so I hesitate to use this method with black. Any opinions out there?
Best regards to you Ray & congrats on your recovery, Joe

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Aug 5th, 2005 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
The static electricity danger has been grossly exaggerated. I believe that "Muzzle Blasts" had an authoritative article by someone who REALLY knows and experiments have been run and there is not enough energy from the static generated from a plastic bottle, etc to ignite even black powder. The paranoia regarding plastic powder measures was also deemed a non-issue.

Understand, I am just a dumb "farmer", not a ballistician, but that is what was reported. I quit worrying about it after reading that report.

Now, smoking while using black powder is a whole different issue (can you spell BOOM!!??) Grin

FWIW
Dale53

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 5th, 2005 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Dale,

I agree with you. I've used my Redding 3BR with the plastic hopper and a Lyman 55 with plastic hopper for years and once the inside of the hopper gets coated with the graphite they put on BP I don't even have static cling. Plus I used those plastic tubes from Brownells for years with not the hint of a problem, and they'd ride for many miles in my shooting box to matches.

Bill Knight... the leading authority on BP in the world, says the same as you about static setting it off.

The thing that has always bothered me was that if BP is so touchy to static electricity how come they ship it in steel cans? And now plastic bottles?

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint