Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 45-70 at 1000 yards (Read 4712 times)
bluesteel45
Ex Member

45-70 at 1000 yards
Aug 2nd, 2005 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
ok guys,i need some more info. one of the clubs here in central pennsylvania is considering running some longrange bpcr matches to utilize their 1000 potential. might even consider holding some form of "quigley east" type of shoot. question is, how does the venerable old 45-70 stack up against the competition as far as black powder only, [no duplexing], cartridge  shooting is concerned??? i know the 45-90 is superior at long range, but "i ain't got one of those!". [i know, i know, but YOU tell my wife!]. i have a nice leeth "gordon" mold in 540 grain and a hoch creedmoor in the same weight...do i need another 10 or 20 grains of bullet weight???...would 1:16" be a more suitable twist. i know the canidians sure think so, but they duplex.........any thoughts are welcome as usual....blue

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Ex Member

Re: 45-70 at 1000 yards
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2005 at 2:26am
Print Post  
BS45,
If there's no problem with the range safety rules, I would just give it a try - I wasn't the only 45-70 shooter in Bisley (maybe one of the worst [performing though, but that's another thing).  I would, however, load it to max. velocity you can get. (FWIW, I used a 520 gr bullet with 70grs of Swiss 1 1/2 Fg, and I don't believe I have to blame the load for my bad performance...)  However, next time, I'll try to up the load a bit more (75grs or even more, as much as I can get in and still shoot accurately), as any gain in velocity is bound to show up over there as less vertical spread, as long as your ES remains respectable.
But if range safety rules allow you to, by all means, do so - there's no other way to learn this game.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2005 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Short term you could size your bullet for breech seating and get a whole lot more powder in the case. I don't know what sort of action you have but a plugged case works well for seating in actions that have some camming

Friend of mine does this with his 45/70 and is a very respectable 1000 yard shooter   He has even rolled paper into the case  folding it over like a shotgun shell in order to load more than it's capacity. But found the extra powder allowed by not having to seat a bullet was adequate for velocity

If you like the result it would be a simple mater to chamber the rifle for the longer cartridge. For a single match a year this dodge would be usefull without changing the rifle.

Boats

IP Logged

vbull
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2005 at 8:43am
Print Post  
BS45,
When I started out shooting LR it was with a Shiloh #1 Sporter in 45-70.  It worked OK at 800 and 900 yds but could not quite keep up with the 90's at 1000 yds.  It seemed to "run out of gas" beyond 900 yds.  Before I sold it off and built a LR rifle on a Rolling Block, I tried a 2 diameter bullet which allowed me to seat the bullet out of the case a good ways to get more capacity in the cartridge.  This was before Swiss powder was available.  I'd used Goex CTG powder and was able to get about 85 gr. into the case with a lot of compression.  It worked almost as well as my purpose built LR rifle that used a 45-70 case along with .300" of freebore.  This also allowed me to load 85-87 gr of the Goex powder into the case with a single diameter bullet.   
Today, I use a 45-90 case with additional freebore to get 90 - 92 gr of Swiss 1.5 behind a Jones 545 gr. bullet.  Good luck and keep us posted on any long range oppertunities in PA, as it not a long drive for me to get there.   

P.S. there are long range matches held at Quantico USMC base 2 times each year.  The next one is the weekend of Aug. 27, 28.           Frank M.

IP Logged

Subsailor

"Sharks of Steel" U.S.
Submarine Force

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2005 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
BS45,
I shot my .45-70 RB at Quantico this past spring and had no problem getting the distance. My problem was too light and I think wrong shape of a bullet. I was shooting the Lyman 457685 at 510gr 40:1, Avg Vel 1256fps, CCI 250 LRM primers, Starline .45-70 brass, 70gr 2F Swiss, .2 compression. Now I am using the NASA II bullet at 555gr 40:1, Avg Vel 1236fps with 75gr 2F Swiss, everything else the same.  With both loads, the bullet is just touching the rifling. I have not been able to shoot this load pass 500m, but will give it a try at Raton in two weeks.

ASSRA #9843
N-SSA 6785-V
NRA
LT. USN (Retired)
U.S.Submarine Veterans Inc.
Silent Service MC
GTalkYIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint