Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 200 yds, a .32-40, and.... (Read 5620 times)
Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

200 yds, a .32-40, and....
Aug 2nd, 2005 at 7:51pm
Print Post  

a 10 shot .711" group! 

As one poster commented: 

"One only has to experiment with duplex loads involving black in 32-40 to appreciate the difficulty this involves. Not to take anything away from Jim's feat. However, I'm still experimenting with straight black and duplex and it ain't easy." 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);

also: 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);

For those who would like to take a try @ breaking old records, the Wyoming Schuetzen Union has an "Election day' challenge: 

"The Wyoming Schuetzen Union “Election Day Challenge” match is an Any Sight, Offhand, 100-shot match shot with the goal of breaking the record score set by Dr. W.G. Hudson of 2301/2500. The “William Hayes Match” is an Iron Sight, Offhand, 100-shot match shot with the goal of breaking the record score set by William Hayes of 2211/2500. Competitors wishing to shoot these two matches simultaneously under the same entry fee may do so as long as Iron Sights are used exclusively in competition. Telescopic sights are allowed for the “Election Day Challenge” match but will disqualify a competitor from the “William Hayes” match."

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

RussW
Ex Member

Re: 200 yds, a .32-40, and....
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2005 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Ray,
I believe Dr Hudson's score has been beaten several times using a scope.
RussW

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2005 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
RussW,

REALLY! Would you care to say who it was that beat Hudsons record? As far as any of us know it hasn't.

Yes... With .22's at 100 yds., but not using the ASSRA 200 yd. target.  But nothing with any rifle at 200 yds. that Hudson shot his score with.

Steve Garbe has been beating his brains out every match day trying to beat this record and I'm sure he'd like to know what the "new" record is.

PETE

IP Logged

mes
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2005 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
I beleive Jim Ferren has scores of up to 2340 with a scope and Jim Luke has shot a few over Hudson's score. Also with a scope.    So far none with iron sights.
mes

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2005 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
mes,

I'm not sure of the exact amount now but if they can document it then there's between $1500 & $2000 waiting for the first one who shot it to claim.

To the best of my knowledge it would have to have been shot under WSU Traditional class rules which would have been prevalent at the 1903 Election Day Match where the original record was made. Traditional cartridges of the era, non click adjustable iron sights or scopes of the Unertl type can be used to set the record.

Steve Garbe has been trying it with a .22 RF the last coupla matches the Cody Club has held their shoots.

I suggest anyone wanting to claim the prise get ahold of Steve so as to get the straight skinny on what's required.

PETE

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Aug 5th, 2005 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Pete:
    I doubt either could claim the prize due to equipment used and by shooting under ASSRA rules which allows sighters at any time and shoot until you have 10 shots on target.  Not that either one of them would need more than 10 shots per target for the 100 shot match.  
mes

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 5th, 2005 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Martin,

To bad! I'm not sure how the sighter rule would go for the Hudson Challenge but under regular WSU rules you are allowed additional sighters, but they can't be shot in the same lane as the record shots. I specifically asked about this as many guns after sitting between relays, or target changes, need a warm-up shot before going back to the group. I was told that as long as you went to another section of the range and fire that shot into the bank, or wherever, it wouldn't be counted as one of your record shots. This was done at the old time Schuetzen matches and they had a special port just for this. If you miss, the gun goes off when you weren't ready, you forgot to put a bullet in..... something that lost a match for Pope....., etc., it's scored what you get or as a miss. Just like would have been done at an old time match.

Then of course you have to have five witnesses who sign off saying they have witnessed the shooting and provide their addresses and phone numbers. The Schuetzenmeister of the club is charged with determining that the rules and required number of consecutive shots have been met. It's to bad things have to be done this way, but as you know from the ASSRA's own experience some people will do most anything to establish a record.

So anyone meeting these requirements can collect a nice chunk of change.

PETE

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 9th, 2005 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Colleen Molendyk shot a 2440 with 15 centers using iron sights and a 2459 with 65 centers at this summer's RKS International Benchrest Competition at Spruce Grove, Alberta (using new equipment) on 200 yard ASSRA targets.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 9th, 2005 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
SD,

Sounds pretty good! I assume tho, since the match appears to have been benchrest, that we're talking she shot this score at benchrest? Hudson's record was shot offhand!

Excellent shooting in any event!

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint