Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Octagon or Round???? (Read 7598 times)
Nailman

Octagon or Round????
Jul 30th, 2005 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Thinking of building a Ballard 22 Rimfire. What would you use for a barrel? What size and lenght Roll Eyes Naiilman....

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Re: Octagon or Round????
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2005 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
I would suggest a oct/rd bbl, #4 weight G.M. ,and no more than 28".  You can always cut the bbl back if you want to loose some weight. There are many who feel the shorter bbl's shoot better due to excess zig/zag factor.   Ken

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2005 at 12:17am
Print Post  
I am going to gently disagree with my VERY good friend, Ken Hurst. I had my Ballard Frogmoor built up and specified a half octagon #3 barrel  (Winchester specs). It is 26" long. It balances quite well. I would change nothing. It also shoots like a match rifle SHOULD shoot.

However, if you are young and strong, then you can consider a #4. 

This presupposes that you have an offhand rifle in mind. It is my belief that the #3 is more attractive, if that is a consideration but after all, it IS a matter of taste...

If you are building a bench .22, then the biggest barrel you can fit to the frame (and still have it look decent) would be a good specification. In ASSRA, the barrel MUST be no shorter than 21.5 inches. 

Whichever barrel spec you specify, you will definitely want a full match chamber. I have had great results from Clymer's Match Chamber specs for the reamer. However, there are other good designs, but my favorite is Clymer (it engraves the bullet nearly to the case mouth for near perfect alighnment). The chamber is arguably the most important design feature of a winning barrel.

Dale53

YMMV
Dale53

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2005 at 9:07am
Print Post  
With Ballards and Stevens 44 1/2 actions you've got camming when the breechblock closes.  If any newbies are reading this, thinking of a similar project but with another action, a full match chamber is not the way to go without that camming action.  I normally recommend the "Bentz" ramers, designed for semi-auto rifles, as a better reamer for single shots with no camming.  I found this out when my kids were starting to shoot, and I built up a Martini with a relined barrel using a Match chamber...I even had a hard time chambering a round by thumb pressure!   

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2005 at 9:42am
Print Post  
David;
You are absolutely correct. The Stevens 44, 44½, and Ballard perfectly handle a full match chamber.

However, the Winchester low-wall, with the "made for .22's" breechblock with the bevel on the top as well as the Martini Internationals that come with a bevel, handle a full match chamber with little problems. I have not done it, but I surmise a bevel added to several single shot breechblocks MAY solve their chambering problems with a full match chamber, also. Failing that, your suggestion to use a Benz chamber (a modified match chamber designed for target semi-autos) is well taken.

Several years ago, I had the idea of re-barreling a Ruger #1 for .22 rimfire. I did a little research, and learned that the Benz chamber was the way to go for them for the same reason you suggest it for any straight falling block rifle without a bevel on top. Since that time, I and several of the local shooters have explored that particular problem with many of the original single shots before we came to the above conclusions.

Dale53

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2005 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Mr. Dale , boy am I embrassed Embarrassed.  I think my suggestion of a #4 bbl weight was the effect of a brain f##t are old age . You are exactly correct about a #3 weight or even a #3 1/2 if strong .  Ken

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2005 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Ken;
No need to be embarassed at all. Many good people would opt for the #4 if they were strong. In fact, there are probably some fit young women who could handle a #4 (check out the Olympic hopefuls). However, for a lot of us older folk a #4 is just a bit too much rifle. My CPA Stevens Pope 441/2 (32/40) offhand rifle has a #4 barrel and it is just too much rifle for me to shoot extended strings.

It all boils down to physical shape and personal preference.

(In my shape and definitely in my personal preference, it is a #3 Grin).

Dale53
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2005 at 2:23pm by Dale53 »  

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2005 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Just remember, round is a shape too!  Grin

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2005 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
I will NOT say it! I will NOT say it! I willNOT say it! Tongue

Dale53

IP Logged

Corky

Reply #9 - Aug 1st, 2005 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
I was under the impression that round was an out of shape!

Corky  (Pot or Kettle, take your pick)

IP Logged

bluesteel45
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 1st, 2005 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
nail, since i know you personally , i know that you and light gun weight don't usually go hand in hand! i'd say, if you have an especially attractive gun project in mind go octagonal to round. if the piece is more on the conservative 'workhorse" side....go round. you could even split the difference between the #3 and #4 [winchester"'], dimention and do a winchester #3 1/2 which was a full round barrel if i remember correctly from my stuart campbell winchester highwall book. both should be rigid enough for your needs as i understand you're making  a smallbore schutzen rifle anyway............blue

IP Logged

Nailman

Now WHAT!!!!!
Reply #11 - Aug 1st, 2005 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Since my 22 Rimfire Ballard is a 30 inch # 5 Round now I thought I would like to try something a little lighter. I think I'll go with a #5-27 inch long. Was thinking Round but now I have to think about 1/2 round & 1/2 Octagon stuff??????

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Aug 1st, 2005 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
The Ballard extractor is also a plus for a .22 match chamber, as the .22 style extractor on the #3 is very strong, and positive extracting!
I would also go with a #3 barrel in half or full octagon. The standard barrels on #3 Ballards was closer to a #2 weight, and they shot very well, so a bit heavier #3 would be great. With that tiny little .22 hole, a #3 is pretty stiff.
Guess I shouldn't assume your Ballard is a #3 action, or is it?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint