Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) b.p.c.r. accuracy???? (Read 20110 times)
bluesteel45
Ex Member

b.p.c.r. accuracy????
Jul 27th, 2005 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
ok guys, since alot of people seem to peruse this Q&A site, here's a question for you. i've been shooting  /experimenting  with the b.p.c.r. stuff for about a year now with mixed results,for the most part very positive. what kind of accuracy should we realistically expect from a "match ready" sillouette rifle?? my one shooting partner is a couple time state sillouette champion, [in class], and tells me that 1 1/2 minutes of angle is not just acceptable, but downright good.i'vee seen some 200 and 300 yard groups he's shot with his 38-55 that were way better than that , but he claims it's not to be expected. his shilioh 45-90, browning 40-65 and shilioh 40-65 all seem to peter out about 2 1/2" at 200 yards with some good handloading practices and he's out there shooting darn near every day. now i've talked to a few other guys who claim that M.O.A. groups are all they will stand for or the gun just isn't worth it's salt! my shooting partner tells me he wants to see them do this "on demand". i personally believe 1 1/2 M.O.A. is way more than adequate...should i expect more????......thanks....blue

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Re: b.p.c.r. accuracy????
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2005 at 7:32am
Print Post  
This should settle the question, at least for the moment. The Pedersoli company offers a nice plaque for achieving success in what they call their MOA challenge (or similar name). Four consecutive ten-shot groups all measuring less than 1 MOA with a 40-cal or larger rifle, BP only.

To the best of my knowledge, to date only three plaques have been awarded, and two of these went to the same guy for success both with and without a scope. Dan Theodore won the pair of plaques and I forget the other guy's name.

If all these braggin'-type guys were shooting all these braggin'-type sub-MOA groups then I think there would have been more awards made. My conclusion is that your friend's opinion is right on the money, 1.5 MOA is darn good. Also, please bear in mind that 2-3 MOA will clean most any Silhouette course around. Thus far no clean scores have been fired.

I've seen my friend shoot several sub-MOA groups on steel, at all Silhouette ranges, but for only 4-5 shots. But try the same thing with 10 shots on paper and those little bitty groups somehow magically grow!

My esteemed colleague & friend Mr hst may care to comment on this one since he's now a bona fide celebrity state championship match winner!
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2005 at 8:08am
Print Post  
There are few modern high power Silouette rifles that will stay under 1 1/2 moa for the entire 40 round match. Certanly not a hunter class rifle with a round forearm like BPC rifles have

If your BPCS rifle will hold 1 1/2 moa for long runs not just the odd group it's pretty darn good.  However you do need accucary.  The Critters are none too large. The Ram for example is about 2 1/2 moa high by 4 moa wide.

Pure bench rest Schuetzen rifles shoot at a 25 ring thats under 1 moa and in a match you don't see many clean the target. And they are breech seated with scopes, flat bottom forends, and unlimited weight, and only scored in 10 shot relays.

Why not test it in match conditons ? Shoot it from x Sticks using iron sights at brown cardboard boxes with silouettes spray painted on. Match distances and with the same time limits  Accucary tested thay way is the only thing thats important to a match shooter

Groups from benchrest for 5 shots mean nothing when it comes to what a rifle will shoot in a match. 

Boats

IP Logged

vbull
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2005 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Over the years, I’ve heard the same thing about needing a sub-MOA rifle to be competitive in today’s silhouette matches.   Well, it wouldn’t hurt to have sub-MOA performance out of the rifle, but in my experience it is much more important to have the shooter tuned for MOA performance.  I have several rifles that have on occasion shot at or just under 1 MOA at 200 or 300 yds for 10 shots.  But not on a regular basis.  So, are these 1 MOA rifles?  Possibly.  They cannot do this day in, day out, but is it the rifle or is it the shooter and/or the conditions the groups are shot under?  External conditions include but are not limited to the lighting, wind, temperature, mirage, haze, smoke, target background and even the comfort of the shooter (covered / uncovered firing points).  Some internal conditions like, shooters physical state, visual acuity, ability to break clean shots and follow thru, mental condition and confidence in self and equipment, experience in that style of particular match, experience with his equipment, ability to follow instructions from a spotter.   

There are a lot more things that effect performance then how well your rifle can shoot that will put you into the winner’s circle.  In silhouette, if you can consistently keep your groups into 1 ½ MOA, you will never loose a match.  Another thing to consider, if your rifle can maintain a 1 MOA group and you as the shooter can hold and break at 1 MOA, your cone of fire will average about 1 ½ MOA but can go as high as 2 MOA and at times as low as ½ MOA.    There are the statistician types that will argue with this, but it is my gut feeling it is correct for the most part.   

I don’t shoot silhouette much more then once or twice a year, but used to do it twice a month at one time.  Today, I shoot bulls eye matches with these rifles in NRA midrange and long range and find it more necessary to have the most precision to get higher scores then with silhouette.  A hit in the tail or the nose of the Ram will only give you a 7 on the 600 yd MR-1 target.   Many matches these days are won with a score in the lower to mid 90’s which equates to an average of the 9 ring or better.  The 9 ring is 18” in diameter or 3 MOA.  Nobody to date has cleaned the target but several have come close with scores of 98 and several X’s.  The 10 ring is 12” or 2 MOA.    The midrange prone aggregate record for 200, 300, and 600 yds is a 296 with a pile of X’s.  That means the shooter kept all but 4 of his 30 shots inside of 2 ½ MOA.  So these 1 MOA shooters could easily clean the course but have never done so to date.  I guess what I’m trying to say in a long and rambling fashion is :  1 ½ MOA is fine.  The thing to work on is the biggest variable.  The shooter.           Frank Monikowski

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2005 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Blue,

Your buddy is right for the situation you describe. Shooting Shilouette rifles off cross sticks into less than 1 1/2 MOA would be very acceptable. Off the bench and using every trick I know my big bores will average right at 1 1/4 to 1 3/8", but off sticks 1 1/2 MOA would be pushing it.

Of course you will always get those "keeper" targets we all love to show our buddies. A friend of mine has a 3/8" five shot group at 100 yds. from a .45/70 he likes to show around. I've got a stack of targets that will go under MOA from a .40/65, .45/70 and .50/90, but I've also got a much bigger stack that won't do that well.

The trouble is that people go out and shoot one of these small groups and immediately think they have a sub MOA gun. Not hardly! In order to be considered a sub MOA gun it should be able to do that on demand under decent conditions.

The main problem in not being able to achieve MOA with the big bores is recoil and torque. There is no way you can control these calibers and if you're not into the gun right exactly the same for each shot there goes your small group. This is why you won't see many match winners at Schuetzen matches using anything over .38 cal., with most using .32 cal.'s.

PETE

IP Logged

choken
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2005 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Frank, You failed to mention the name of the person that holds the 296 Midrange record....a humble man is a rare thing in the shooting sports. Congratulations on being both the record holder AND that rare man!

IP Logged

bluesteel45
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2005 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
ya' see, i knew i asked the right bunch of "cranks" this question. i may be somewhat new to the realm of b.p.c.r., but not to the competitive shooting sports...might even have a state championnship or two in some other disciplines. i very much appreciate your 'insights' on this matter as all of you made some very good points on the whole "accuracy" question. pete, you could have mentioned your record"it aint' braggin' if you can do it!" [did i get that right mom???]....thanks.....blue

IP Logged

bluesteel45
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 28th, 2005 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
sorry frank...i think i meant to congratulate you.......i'm sure pete will pass it on.........blue

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 5:35am
Print Post  
hi-ho BS 45,

you certainly came to the rite place for info. like the choken said, v-bull holds the mid range record. but, he is also a many times nat'l champion at 1000 yds.

..ttfn..grampa..

PS also intrn'l champ..

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Good advice from all. here is my overall opinion for what it is worth. Accucary is fun to work on and there are endless possable combinations.

But my experence is experementation does not help match scores at all as long as your rifle and outfit is up the the general standard for the particular match.

You can do quite well just shooting the load combinations that are winning matches and never change or experement with a thing. At the level I shoot just elimanating mistakes is the best way for me to improve.  I think Harry Pope said something like " It's the absense of bad scores that make a winner ?." I can't recall the exact quote.

Last Hudson I shot I made 3 clear errors that cost at least 60 points. 3 out of 100 is a whole lot better than I used to do but still the way for me to improve scores is to work on no errors or pulled shots, not Sub moa accucary from my rifle.

Boats

IP Logged

Asst
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
" A good score is not made by a large number of perfect shots, But the absense of poor ones."

H.M. Pope

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Thats it !!!

Boats

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jul 30th, 2005 at 8:08am
Print Post  
boats,

Altho I'm an inveterate experimenter, who's always looking for that one hole group load, what you say about it not helping scores is so true. I believe it was Chapman, a noted offhand shot of his day, who said that once you achieve 4" groups stop fooling with load development and practice. A poor shot with the best gun still won't beat the best shot with an average gun.

I think us Schuetzen shooters especially spend way to much time trying for accuracy that's not attainable when we should be working on our technique plus wind & mirage reading.

PETE

IP Logged

Asst
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jul 30th, 2005 at 10:27am
Print Post  
99.99999% of the time the problem with accuracy is a single part of the equation, the NUT on the butt.

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jul 30th, 2005 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
asst;
       It seems us red-blooded American men refuse to believe the accuracy problem could possibly be our fault. We will continue to search for the magic powder, bullet, rifle & etc that does not exist.     leadball

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint