Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic parts unknown sights (Read 8328 times)
bluesteel45
Ex Member

parts unknown sights
Jul 20th, 2005 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
as a "newbie' i'd thought i'd try a post on the board. hope this dosen't open a can of worms. has anyone found a durability issue or 'repeatabiliy' problem with the ukranian "parts unknown sights'?  i realize they aren't as heavily built as the "baldwin" or "hoke" sight, but they seem to be pretty well made in spite of their economical pricetag. i won't even argue that 'you get what you pay for', but these seem like they'd make a great back-up sight.the only thing i've heard negative about them thus far is that the 'detent' on the staff wears somewhat quickly and the staff won't return to 'battery' position. others' have said that just isn't true.....any comments are welcome..........blue

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Re: parts unknown sights
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2005 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
I have one of the newer PU rear sights, the one with the center elevation knob held between the two vertical sides of the sight frame. I believe they call this the Borchardt sight. No negatives at all so far in 2 years, but it's seen only light adjustment use compared to the average BPCRS shooter. I would cheerfully buy another if needed on another rifle, but please be advised that the level of finish is not as good as the high-priced spreads.

The detent issue could very well be a case of little or no lube in the presence of gritty dust or sand. I've found that a dab of molybdenum disulphide (moly-D) lube on the detent parts will really make a difference in longevity & ease of operation. In dusty or sandy or windy conditions this lube needs to be cleaned & replaced periodically, just like the lighter-weight lube you use (don't you?) on the adjustment parts.

I've examined a PU windage-adjustable front sight & found it to be very acceptable for my use with a few caveats. The windage screw thread fit was great with no visible or measurable backlash. The top section was a nice snug sliding fit in its dovetail cut with no visible or measurable slop. The captive collar around the adjustment stem was slightly loose between its two limiters but was easily tightened by a little judicious peening. The biggest problem I have with the sight is the fact that my usual apertures for my Lyman 17 sights won't work in the PU sight.

IMO the PU sights are worth the money, much more so than any other less-expensive sights. IMO they provide the most bang for the buck at a very acceptable performanace level, always bearing in mind that the real braggin' rights will always go to the MVA/Baldwin/Axtell level of quality. Kinda reminds me of the Savage 110 & Remington 788 rifles, they would both outshoot any rifle costing up to 2-3-4 times as much, but wouldn't win any beauty contests.
YMMV, good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2005 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
I have used the Parts Unknown sights extensively. I agree with 
Joe 's assessment. 

I would like to add one very important thing. Parts Unknown's service cannot be beat. Sergio is a "straight up guy" and if you would ever have a problem with one of his products, he will absolutely stand behind it. THAT is not to be taken lightly.

Dale53

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2005 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Mr. bluesteel45:

I too use the Parts Unkown tang sight. The biggest advantage to this sight is the internal drum "screw" of the Borchardt style sight. This feature allows for very quick and accurate sight adjustment. I would not consider any other style of sight on a Silhouette rifle where time is an issue and small, accurate adjustments are required.

The sights will sometimes require a bit of tweaking to get just right, but once set up they are, in my experience, very durable. My Silhouette rifle has thousands of rounds through it and the site has given no trouble.

It seems that the quality of the PU sights is improving. I have in the past returned a front sight because it just was not well enough made. However, I recently put a windgage front on a rifle and found it wanting for nothing. It was a real nice sight, suitable for a high grade rifle.

All that said, while I use the PU tang sights I prefer the Baldwin front. I even made one into a windgage sight for the Long Range rifle.

Glenn

IP Logged

bluesteel45
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2005 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
thanks guys for all your input. i'm sure i'm not the only one wondering about this. does anyone "lurking out there" have much experience with the older style p.u. sight with the elevation adjustment knob at the top of the staff and the elevator screw to the rear of the staff. as long as it's kept relatively dirt free, does slop or play become much of an issue? i hear alot of positive comments about the newer style with the adjustment "barrel" knob riding between the two sides of the staff, but not much on the older style....any comments????................blue

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2005 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
blue,

Slop or play are a normal part of life with any make vernier sight. It's impossible to get it all out or you wouldn't be able to move the sight. As long as the sight has been scribed with the proper mark widths on the staff and slide the amount of slop in it is of no consequence.

The real problem is if your vernier has a windage adjustment. Here again you will have some play. You have to know how to "load" it in order to get the desired movement you want. It's easy to figure out but you do have to remember which way you've loaded it.  Grin

PETE

IP Logged

bluesteel45
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2005 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
thanks pete....point taken. sounds like "familiarity" is the the key word here...use it and know it....before you get to the match!.....thanks again......blue

IP Logged

bluesteel45
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 2nd, 2005 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
i talked to rodney storie in oklahoma today and he informed me that he made the prototype sights for sergio to have reproduced in the ukraine, i guess they are actually a survey equipment company , so they know how to do reasonably [ i hope]precise work. he told me the new mega soule sight is as good as they get! he also told me he's the one to service them if ones proves faulty in any way, shape or form. at about $375.00 it's worth a try i guess......we'll see....blue

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 2nd, 2005 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Blue,  I know Sergio as I have worked for him from time to time. He has the sights made at a co. that use to make precision parts for the soviet space agency as well as other small intricate items.  Ken

IP Logged

bluesteel45
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 2nd, 2005 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
ken, i guess "glastnost" has its advantages...for us anyway. i know some of the stuff  coming out of the old soviet union, [as far as machine parts are concerned], are a little on the crude side, but the sights i've seen from the company you just mentioned certainly qualify as quality stuff....at a more than fair price....wonder if they'd consider making fuel efficient cars??????....blue

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint