Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Rilfe Actions (Read 4063 times)
Sharps1874
Ex Member

Rilfe Actions
Jul 19th, 2005 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Hello Everyone,

Sometime in mid to late August I’ll be receiving my Shiloh Sharps 45-70 Sporter #1 with a 30” Octagon Barrel. I grew up shooting Pumps; I’ve been around Bolt Action rifles. And currently I own a Marlin 30-30 Lever Action. Yet I keep hearing in the forums about Rolling Blocks, Trap Doors, and a few others. I know that I have a lever action that opens my rear breach, which is where I put my cartridge. This Sharps Rifle and the other rifles like it is new territory for me, and I’m interested in understanding it better. 

I also keep hearing about Class 1 and Class 3 groups. Are there other classifications and what do they all mean? 

I would appreciate any and all the help in my search for this and much more knowledge that you all have that hopefully you might pass on to me. Thank you for your help.

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Re: Rilfe Actions
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2005 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Paul;
Welcome to single shots.

I recommend that you get a couple of books to shorten the learning curve.

An "Oldie but goodie" is "Black Powder Cartridge Primer" by Steve Garbe and Mike Venturino:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

On that same web site is another book by Mike Venturino "Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West". The Sharps that you have ordered is the quintessential Buffalo Rifle.

Those books will get you up and running.
I also recommend the "Single Shot Rifle Journal" which is the magazine of the American Single Shot Rifle Association (ASSRA supports this web site) that comes with your membership. Steve Garbe's "Black Powder Cartridge" magazine is also a dandy.

You cannot read too much. It really helps you to understand single shots.

Good luck and come back here, often.

Dale53

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2005 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Paul, you might also want to get a copy of Frank de Haas' book 'Single Shot Rifles and Actions' for more complete data on the different types and their merits. He gives a good description of the different parts of the actions & their functions as well as rating their strengths and suitability for various cartridges. There are good pictures of the various rifles in their original configurations as well as picures of some custom rifle versions. All of Frank's books are written from a gunsmith's point of view and contain some really neat tips. They are considered to be among the very best seminal works on single shot rifles.
When you have questions just ask, good luck, Joe

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2005 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Hi Paul,
I'll sure second the book idea! Good reference material is the best money a gun owner can spend!
You've made a good choice in the Shiloh, as they seem to be the gun all others are compared to! I'm sure it will be a great shooting rifle for you. 
Just one problem though. Once you've shot your single shot rifle, your other guns will end up gathering a lot more dust. You'll also start looking at all other guns, and comparing them to your single shot, and finally you'll want more single shots!
Better think twice before accepting delivery! Wink

IP Logged

Lee_Stone
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2005 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Sharps1874

I would like to suggest an additonal book that you will find invaluable. "Loading Cartridges For The Original .45-70 Springfield Rifle And Carbine" by Pat and J. S. Wolf. You can find it on Pat Wolf's web site here:

You can also get the book from Shiloh Rifle Mnfg. here:

The book is of course written to the model 1873 (and later models) Springfield rifle and Carbine, but it has a wealth of information that is applicable to any and all disciplines of shooting real gunpowder. I very highly recommend the book.
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2005 at 9:17am by »  

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 1:40am
Print Post  
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to thank everyone that has contributed with this topic. I wanted you all to know that even though I’ve been off line for a while that I have not stopped reading, researching, and learning as much as I can before my rifle arrives. It should be in the next few weeks. Smiley

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 1:06am
Print Post  
Hello Everyone,

I finally received my Sharps Rifle, and well it’s an incredible site to look at. I’m sure that I’m going to have years of fun with my rifle. Under normal circumstances, I usually play around with the new things that I get before reading the owners manual, yet with the Sharps I’ve decided to read everything first. So far this has been a wise decision. 

Good news, the end of the hunting season has turned out very good for me. I ended up with a very good Blacktail on the last Wednesday of the season about 2 weeks ago. One of the other hunters from the club pushed it my way and all I had to do was sit my butt down and wait for it to run to me. My buck turned out to be a very nice 3 pointer with exceptional eye guards. 2 days later, my Dad killed his deer, a nice fork horn with tall forks. It was great seeing my Dad kill what may be the last deer hill shoot in his life. I think at the age of 78 that he has hunted his last year. Most of the deer this season on the ranch that I hunt on killed their deer in the last few days of the season. We were lucky this year that we were in the rut that last 3 weeks of the season. The same thing happened last year. I ended up with the best buck of the season on the ranch. I’ll get my plaque for that this Saturday at the end of the season hunting party. This will be my second one since we started scoring in 1993. And I already picked up my deer meat from my butcher last Sunday. 

I’m getting ready to get the last of my reloading stuff. Soon I’ll be shooting my Sharps. 

OK, how has everyone else done? It’s been very quiet from all of you. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint