Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic sidehammer cartridge rifles (Read 2854 times)
KWK
Senior Forum Member

sidehammer cartridge rifles
Jun 15th, 2005 at 4:46am
Print Post  
Pondering the Sharps rifles got me to wondering: who else made such rifles, namely sidehammer falling blocks? I vaguely recall reading Henry in the UK did, but there were likely others. Over in the US, de Haas's books show a Mortimer & Kirkwood, and there was also the Wesson now familiar to SSRJ readers. Were such rifles common in the 1870's, or did Sharps pretty much have the market to themselves?

Karl
IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Ex Member

Re: sidehammer cartridge rifles
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 5:10am
Print Post  
KWK,
It would be hard to sum up all sidehammer rifles - especially as most converion rifles (ML to BL) were like this.  Trapdoor, Snider, Tabatière, Albini-Braendlin,...  Then there's the Peabody, Smith, Werndl and many others.  Contrary to what you might believe, there were quite a lot out there.
Also, the Wesson rifle is almost a straight copy of the Alex Henry rifle.  Having owned an A. Henry at some point in time, I think I can say this with a reasonable amount of certitude.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2005 at 6:57am
Print Post  
Yes, there was even a sidehammer rolling block. I'm curious, though, about the falling blocks, such as the Sharps. I must look for more information on the Henry's. Unfortunately, the Australian library system seems to have little interest in books on firearms, so I may have to wait until I get back to the US.

Karl
IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Quote:
the Wesson rifle is almost a straight copy of the Alex Henry rifle

I did a little searching on the internet last night, and found a (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) with some information on Henry military falling blocks. There's no question it and the Wesson are related. An article in the Journal a while back suggested the Henry was first, so your recollection was correct.

Karl
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint