Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) $10,000.00 prize for beating Hudson's effort (Read 13359 times)
PETE
Ex Member

Re: $10,000.00 prize for beating Hudson's effort
Reply #15 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Dick,

You were asking about the differences between the NRA 200 yd. target (SR-C) and the German 25 ring target. Had to go dig one out. Here's the sizes.

The 25 ring on the 200 yd. German target is 1 1/2"

The X ring on the SR-C is 3" and the 10 ring is 7"

As some added info..... Of course the SR-C wasn't used either for offhand or bench shooting back in the Schuetzen days. What was used was the Standard American Target, and surprisingly we still use a variation of it today as the 50 yd. Slow Fire Pistol Target. We've done away with the 12 ring and the 11 ring is now the X ring.

PETE

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Dick,

I always wondered what common over the counter medicines do to your ablity to hold.

About all I take is asprin but in the spring do take Sudafed for Sinis problems. I think it keeps me awake and a little jittery so avoid it on match day unless I need it real bad.

I know for sure when I eat about anyting duing a match my scores drop while digesting the food. It's a question of pulse rate.

Couple of guys from my Gun Club and I went up to Pennsylvania to shoot one of there Modern Siloutte matches a number of years ago. They shoot morning break for lunch and then again in the afternoon. We did ok with a 1st 3rd and 5th as I recall.

Wives made the lunch for the club  They filled us up with Chicken, potato salad and finished off with "Shoofly Pie"  It was real good and none of us finished over 15th in the afternoon.

What do you know about Asprin and Sudafed

Boats

IP Logged

dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Sudafed, psuedoephedrine hydrochloride, is a banned substance at all international athletic events. Many an olympic medal has been forfieted for testing positive. It's a central nervous system stimulant along with being a good decongestent. One of problems is that Meth can be made using the active ingredient. The local Wal-Mart limits purchases to 4 boxes per customer. Asprin should be o.k. unless it upsets your stomach. As to eating, right after you eat blood is shunted to the stomach to aid in the digestive process. This affects the blood supply for the rest of your body. The muscles simply are not getting the best oxygen supply, makes for fatigue. Maybe the answer for shooting is constant light snacks to keep blood sugar levels up. Shooters, syncronized swimmers, archers, and divers are tested for a type of drug called "beta blockers", mostly used for high blood pressure. These drugs prevent the release of adrenaline, hence, you can be under stress but the natural stimulent flow is diminished. I used to date a gal who played for a major symphony. She claimed that must members used beta blockers before a performance. She said it was cheap insurance againt a sour note during a flute solo.

IP Logged

SPG
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Apr 11th, 2005 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
Mr. Norton,
The topic of a $10,000 prize match to beat Hudson's score was discussed at the WSU Schuetzenfest in Cody. In fact, I had quite a good conversation with Jack Oder, Jim Luke, Earl Hines as well as several other offhand enthusiasts. We were all in agreement that a match of that sort would definitely interest us to the point of traveling to wherever and paying a substantial entry fee.

Something to consider- Hudson set his record in a match that had some definite differences to the typical offhand matches of today. First, there were no sighters allowed during the match...in fact, in my research it appears as if the first shot fired was for score. Secondly, even though he set his record using iron sights he did it in an "any sight' match. Third, every shot fired counted for score...no shooting till you had 100 shots on paper, it was 100 shots for score; this is what blew Pope out of the running. Fourth, shooting coats/vests/shoes weren't allowed. These are all things that to one degree or another are allowed in today's Schuetzen shooting and can represent a huge difference...especially the use of sighter targets during the match and the 100 shots on paper versus 100 shots fired.

The WSU's Election day match in October uses the old rules and I can tell you going for broke on the first shot takes some head scratchin'. Jack Oder and I shot side by side last October and had many a chuckle over doping the gusty conditions. Competitors that were used to going back to a sighter to figure out the wind got a rude awakening.

If we are going to take a run at the record we at least should do it under the same rules. Hudson's record is amazing, considering the restrictions he shot under. Pope's score is even more amazing when one considers that he nearly beat Hudson after having thrown one shot away. We've all got a ways to go before we can break the old-time records with the same equipment and under the same rules.

Shooting for $10.000 would provide the incentive, as it did in the old days, for shooters to make the personal investment in time and practice that results in records of this sort.

While we are talking of great offhand shooters let's not forget Dean King of Denver... 917 on the Standard American target is pretty impressive. The Altman Brothers were also a couple of "for blood" shooters that only came out if there was money to win.

Hold center,

Steve Garbe

IP Logged

dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Apr 12th, 2005 at 9:15am
Print Post  
It's encouraging to see some serious interest re: the $10K shoot. Though at this time of life I'd come as a "crowd sweller" I would sure travel just to shoot alongside the best shots. Every duffer golfer shoud want to play the Masters! And I would encourage every shooter who is physically able to stand and shoot to participate. Rules and conditions should be a close as possible to the Hudson effort as you suggest. Considering distances to be traveled, possible equipment problems, one sighter target would be desirable. Though it may be a pipe dream of mine but think of the interest we could stir with shooting press; coverage say in the NRA competiton publication, (I don't recall it's name), the American Rifleman, etc., plus all those "pulp" shooting magazines on the racks. My personal feeling is that schuetzen shooting is so rich in history, in technical appeal, in the contribution of pioneers of shooting and arms developement, that the sport should be "shouted from the rooftops".  The historical angle coupled with money just might grab attention. A good website would be needed:

1. For indepth information on the sport.

2. Links to gunmakers, suppliers, etc.

Hopefully, with the prize money, the rich history of schuetzen shooting, and with a gentle "in your face" challenge to NRA type shooters, we might just get new folks involved. Recall how the Coors shoots stirred the pot. Going for the Hudson score is a bit like looking for the Holy Grail but I marvel at the folks who every year trudge off looking for the Lost Dutchman gold mine. I guess it was 1989 when Chuck Blender, Jim Luke, myself, and several others made the switch from muzzleloaders to single shots and traveled to Golden, Colorado. A classic of chasing that Brass Ring! This kind of event should be an annual thing, we want to bring in those new shooters and time is required to prepare equipment. 
Jumping around a bit, but a couple of weeks ago at the Western 3200 smallbore shoot I was showing a schuetzen target and it garnered considerable interest. (I think some of those shooters were a tad bored with lying in a prone position trussed in leathers.  I think initially a shoot this year would be great if we can get the PR generated. Perhaps George Harris could help with publicity in the NRA competiton magazine.  Good to hear your comments and I think we all can agree the sport deserves a boost.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint