Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Creedmoor Range box (Read 10832 times)
halp
Ex Member

Creedmoor Range box
Feb 13th, 2005 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Leo sent a great series of photos of his original , right from the catalog cut, range box. It's a real beauty. To see it, go to my new web site at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
That's a direct link, no password needed.
Think you will enjoy seeing it.
Regards,
Hal P

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Re: Creedmoor Range box
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Hal,

Very nice pictures. Shouldn't be to hard to duplicate one either...... if..... I knew how to sew leather like that.  Smiley

PETE

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Halp;
Thanks again and again for sharing with us.

Dale53

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Maybe we can get Louis Vuitton to make a special run of them for us...  Grin  Now THAT would be classy and our significant others would understand why we wanted it!

Froggie

IP Logged

Asst
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 10:23am
Print Post  
"our significant others would understand why we wanted it! "

I do think the word "wanted" is very incorrect, Please insert NEEDED in it's place.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Very nice, Thanks for the detailed photos,

You can make leather boxes. It's not too hard but is time consuming.

Look for Al Stohlman's "Art of Making Leather Cases Vol 1 & 2

He has all the stitches & methods required.  If you did  not insist on completly authentic Leather outside with thin wood for the inside would not be so hard.

Boats

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Boats,

Thanks for the info. I've always wondered how they got those nice square corners. Will have to look the book up.

Also was wondering if there was a thin wood shell that the leather covers on the outside edges. Also look like some heavy cloth material covering everything and looks like it's also used to make the "hinge" between the two halves.

Some neat ideas even if you didn't follow the exact pattern.

PETE

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Pete

Friend of mine made one for a real nice Italian Double shotgun. It looks great. He even made a canvas dust cover stenclled with 'Benelli" to keep it from getting scratched up 

He used thin hardwood plywood and glued canvas to the outside. Then the Leather was glued and sewn on. The Canvas dust cover goes over all about like a slipcover on a sofa

On the corners. If you soak leather good it will mold to almost any shape. Most people make a male/female mold and press the corners into shape. Generaly the large piece of leather is flat and glued and the corner /edge covers are molded and applied & sewn after.

I have made a lot of small leather boxes but never tried one the size of that Creedmore case. Methods are still the same though.

The stitches look hard but they are laid out with a scribing tool and holes are marked with a stitching wheel. Then It's just pierceing with a awl and stitching through the pre-punched holes. Not much more difficult than lacing rawhide through punched holes. Just smaller 

Have often thought of a shooting box of leather.  I keep one set of my iron sights in a Alligator leather box. It's just an old ladies pocketbook cut up for the leather stock and sewn to a molded cowhide box.

Would like to have a measured drawing of the Creedmore box with some details sketched, particulary that hinge

Boats

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Boats,

Thanks for the info. Always helpful in knowing how others have done something. I've worked a bit with leather, and webbing type canvas, but have never tried making square sewn corners like that because I couldn't figure out how it was done. Your idea sounds like it might be the way to go.

On your wet molding & gluing the leather on....... Don't you think it would work just as well without the wet molding? Just cut the pieces to fit over the frame, glue them, on and then sew? Would you bevel the edges in order to get that nice square edge?

On the hinge..... To me it seems a little crude considering the apparent quality of the rest of the piece. I'm gonna have to take another look at it but looks like it's the same covering material (canvas?) as is on the compartment lids. What do you think?

Dimensions would be nice, but I think you can get a fair idea of size by the cartridges in one of the compartments. Besides, you'd probably want to dimension it for your particular needs. Depth of the two halves would have to be extrapolated, but could be figured out I'd imagine.

PETE

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Pete.

I could scale it off from a projected image using one of the cartridges as a index to make my scale.  You just move the projector back and forth until the cartridge image fits a real one. The rest is a trace job.

You only need wet molding for a complex shape.  For that Case I would only mold the corner pieces.  They look to me like those Brass end caps you can buy ready made for boxes etc.  The flat sides and  "L" shaped edges I would not mold.  The mold is simple just the male part needs to be exact, The Female part is just an outline mold indexing on the edges.  you also let the edges run over and trim down to final size once dry.

I put them in a big bench vice and squezee into shape. And you only need one mold for all 8 corners. One per day. I let them sit overnight.  Fitted corners add a nice touch and are more durable.

The Hinge as you say looks light duty considering the weight of cartridges etc. I just used that type sewn leather hinge on some Fly boxes, But they were shirt pocket size and Flys don't weigh much. The good thing about it is they lay open flat and don't want to close on you. I have fly's top and bottom and they lay open like a book in the palm of your hand.

For a range box I would use a metal hinge.

Looking at my wooden open top bench box and all the gear I use for Schuetzen I bet it weights 20 plus pounds.  You need a sturdy box for that.

I would guess the first one would have  30-40 hours in it. But you could make a run of them in much less time per box.  During the time that one was made I bet there were a number of casemakers in large cities building all sort of fitted boxes.

It's nice to think about but doubt I will be putting the time in it. Shooting season will be here soon.

Boats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Pete

Forgot the bevelved edges.  You can sew beveled edges pretty easy. You bevel the leather first. Scribe the stitching grove, roll the marking wheel down the grove and stab the sewing awl at the right angle to sew the butted edges together.  If it's thick stock it much easier to do.

I would sew them butted but then cover with a edge piece L shaped sewn right through the leather and inside of the box. I don't think that one is made that way.

Boats

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Boats,

I wasn't worried to much about scaling it to size. You would probably use your own cartridge you want to make the case for as a guide for the width of the compartments.

Quote:
You only need wet molding for a complex shape.

That's why I was thinking that it would be just as easy, and look more like Hal's pictures to cut the pieces to fit and then sew the edges. But sewing the edges still confuses me. Cases made that way that I've looked at don't show the thread coming thru to the inside, so it appears as tho the thread has to go thru at a 45 degree angle. But I'm not sure of this.

I agree on your thinking of the hinge. I'd probably go with a solid brass piano hinge. The lock looks very similar to some you can get from Rocklers.

Have to laugh at your 20# box for Schuetzen shooting. At least that much. I made up a tool box similar to what Gerstner puts out and it weighs that much, easy, when loaded! I've lately been going to those plastic tool boxes you can buy for a coupla bucks and then set one up for each of my "working" guns. When I want to impress people I get out the wooden one!  Smiley

I agree this project probably won't get done this year. I still have to finish the box to carry the wind flags in that GWarden and I bought a while back. Seems like it's getting so I'll have to buy a trailer just to haul all the "stuff" to the range.  Smiley

PETE

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Pete,

If you like I can photo copy some details from Stohlmans book on the stitching and mail to you

You are telling me about all the stuff it takes !!!!! I am carrying 8 boxes to the range mostly inexpensive plastic

Rifle in it's case
Rest in a milk crate
Tripod and scope in a bag
Shooting bag, w glasses ear plugs notebooks etc
Shooting stand for rifle with tray for handy tools under
Ammo box
Powder measure box
Target bag with staples etc.

I need an assistant to carry it all for me.

Boats

IP Logged

halp
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Hi Boats and Pete.
Here is some help. Got these notes from Leo. 
Closed- 12.3/4 X 8 X 4.3/8 tall. 

Inside compartments:
all 1.5" high Long one (one each side) is 11 1/2 X 2 1/2
Four small per side - 2 5/8 X 3 7/8
Lids and dividers:
Sm lids with leather pulls 2 7/8 X 4 1/2
big dividers 7 1/2 X 12
Two heights of box- 2 1/8 tall, bottom 2 1/4 tall
Box is made from pressed cardboard covered in garment quality and thickness leather. Metal reinforced retainer is steel while other stess areas are backed by brass. 
Hope this helps!
Hal-P.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Hal,

Hey! Cool! Thanks for getting the info. That will be very helpful when making a copy, altho I think Boats and myself might make it a little sturdier.  Smiley

Give me an email sometime. Been a long time since I've heard from you.

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint