Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic new Unertl scopes (Read 9290 times)
GWarden
Senior Forum Member

new Unertl scopes
Jan 31st, 2005 at 11:50am
Print Post  
I was out at the SHOT show at Vegas over the week end, and the high light of the show to me was to see that the Unertl company is going to start making 1 1/2", 1 1/4" target scopes and small game scopes. 
I asked lots of questions and drooled over the scopes they had at the show. They felt the new manufactured scopes will be of a improved quality over the old originals. The best part is the material I picked up for retail price is less than one pays currently for a old scope in very good shape. It will be some time before they get into production, but it is something we can look forward to. The retail price sheet for the following scopes they will be producing: 1 1/2" target $753; 1 1/4" target $715; small game $550; 
Bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: new Unertl scopes
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Price seems to be in the ballpark. I have a Parsons STS reproduction and it was about 750 all in. The Mitchels cost a lot more and while they are real nice opticly to my eye they are kind of chunky for a offhand rifle.

I would sure like to have a Small game. Wonder how long the delivery time would be. Gill Parsons warned me in advance he was moving his shop and it would take some time when I ordered the STS. About 18 months total but I think now he is turning them out faster.  I had never used a STS and like it a lot. His workmanship is first class.

Like you say Used Unertls go for those prices and while I have a 1 1/4 inch 12x  I did ok on I had another than needed repairs and cost more than I thought it was worth once finished. I don't recomend buying a used one at the prices they are bringing today.

Any contact info for Unertl ?

Boats

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
I respectfully suggest that the prices quoted for used Unertls are waaaaayyy out of line. I recently saw a like-new 1.5" target with caps & spring go for $450 at a gun show, sold by a gun show shark. I will cheerfully sell my own excellent-condition 1.5" target with smallest dot, both caps & spring plus I'll throw in a pair of bases for $550 & laugh all the way to the bank. I just sold one of my like-new 2" Ultra Varmints with dual range-finder reticle, both caps, spring, original wooden box and factory papers for $650 & was a little embarrassed at the high price. Also sold one of my 1" targets in average condition with spring but no caps for $275. This scope was eminently usable as-was (I used it with perfect satisfaction for 10 yrs) but needed a lens replacement to be perfect.

I also respectfully suggest that today's Unertl lenses aren't the quality of the old ones. John Unertl realized the importance of using only the purest & highest-quality sand in his glass, and was able to locate a source of excellent sand in the PA area. This PA sand, and in fact all the known sand in the USA, is now of a lower quality than in the past due to the supplies of the good stuff being already used up. Now the best optical sand in the world comes from central Europe or the Orient. Wonder where the new Unertl sand comes from?

My statement about lens quality comes from experience with several makers over the years. For instance, I'll bet if you look through five Unertls of 1950s/60s vintage along with five Lyman STS's of 1950s/60s vintage, you'll instantly see what I'm speaking about. The clarity is simply not as good with any other make as it is with Unertl, especially once the scope gets some age on it. Sad but true.

I still own several old Unertls and consider myself very fortunate, but would cheerfully buy two Leupolds instead of one of the new Unertls for the same price. The new Leupolds maybe aren't quite as good as the old Unertls but are better than anything else made in this country IMO.

BTW I just picked up one of the new 6x MVAs for $400, IMO a good scope that's perhaps a little more usable than its counterparts, the Unertl 1" target & Small Game scopes. Those multiple dots sure make a difference. Time will tell about the lenses.

Speaking personally, if I had the better part of $1000 to spend on optics, I'd save up another $1000 & then buy an older Unertl Team spotting scope. "Ne plus ultra" (than which there is no better)
JMOFWIW, good luck, Joe

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Joe

You are right about the Unertls the Glass was better and the picture is the best I have ever seen. I only have one now but would not sell it as long as I can still shoot.  I would sell a whole lot of stuff I have for a Unertls team spotter. Even the smaller 24x Unertl spotter has a picture better than anything in it's class then or now.  And on the listed prices also agree. I just sold a Unertl Varmit at a reasonable price but it was to a club member. 

I thought the MVA 6x cost a lot more than that, Almost a thousand was what I understood. I have one of there tang sights and two of the Hadley disk, all show very good workmanship

I do have several modern Leopolds on my modern Silouette rifles. While they are surely the way to go for a modern scope I wish the mechanicals worked better. The Paralax adjustment is not very precise and settings vary from day to day on the same range.  The old Weaver El Passo made "T"s are the most repeatable of the internal scopes and adjustments work better than any. But the glass is not as good as the Leopolds.

I guess you pay your money and you takes your choice. I would like to look through one of the new Unertls.

Boats

IP Logged

SCHUETZEN
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SCHUETZEN
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
They are still being made in Mars Pa. at the original plant at least that is my understanding and the below address reflects just that?

Unertl Optical Company, Inc.
P.O. Box 895
Mars, PA 16046-0895

Phone 724-625-3810
Fax 724-625-3819
info@Unertloptics.com 

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Schuetzen
Unertl has been purchased by a business man from Las Vegas, their new address is Unertl Optical Co., 2900 S. Highland Drive Bldg 18C, Las Vegas 89109. Phone 702-369-4092
Bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2005 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Boats said, "I guess you pay your money and you takes your choice. I would like to look through one of the new Unertls." 

Boats, you're right in everything you say. The MVA DOES cost close to $1000 new retail, but I got mine used from a guy who didn't know how to load BP. Got his Shiloh Sharps rifle too but sold it to a friend. For some reason these high-end Sharps replicas seem to retain their value better than most other rifles but I still got the whole rig at a bargain, was able to sell the rifle at a low price & still come out with the scope at a bargain also. The workmanship seems very good but I haven't used it enough to form an opinion yet. It's almost as light as the Unertl Small Game but the mounts stick up a little more, will require more care in the field.

The Weaver T-series was indeed the best/most repeatable of the internal adjustment scopes, their current price on the used market reflects that. Too bad the glass isn't any better, as you say. Also too bad about the Leupold shortcomings, I especialy don't like the eyepiece focus & POI adjustment repeatability, but also as you say they're the best US-made choice at this time.

I understand that Leupold gets their sand from the Far East, may actually get their glass from there instead of just the sand. I assume they still grind their own lenses though.

BTW I use small Warne Premier quarter-ribs to mount modern scopes on my vintage rifles, it isn't perfectly authentic-looking but works out very well. The narrow quarter-rib looks rather dainty & is very unobtrusive, unlike the larger & more awkward Weaver-style bases or rib stock. I use either RF tip-off rings or Warne/Kimber Premier lever-release rings, it makes for a very slick installation that doesn't have any sharp edges sticking out to irritate or catch on anything. The little rib must be fabbed but can be either screwed or glued on if you don't want to alter the rifle's bbl. I've had good luck using Acraglas & Black Max adhesive, Acraglas is better IMO. The lever-release Premier rings alllow instant removal for iron sight use & return to zero within 1/2 MOA or less, by my actual testing. Hard to beat that.

Like you say (like the Madam said to the Bishop) "You pays your money & you takes your choice" but sometimes I wish the choices were just a little bit better.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2005 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Joe

You did OK on that MVA. I hardly ever use the Weaver T's anymore but have 3 of them.

I have used the QR set up. I have a little T/C Contender carbine with it that I switch barrels between .22 LR and .22 K Hornet and use one Leopold compact 3x9 A/O. I had target knobs installed and the rifle zeros repeat perfectly.  Now I am trying to figure out a way to put the same rib on a Oregon Kimber K82 that I use for Small Bore Sillouette in the Hunter class. It carries a Leopold 6.5x20 which is fine for matches but not so go for hunting. It would be qood to be able to switch off the 3x9 & 6.5x20  Now the rifle has tip off groves in the reciever. The newer Kimbers are drilled for the Warne set up I think.

My 2 Schuetzens are traditional and I switch beteen a Unertl 12 x Target and a Parsons STS 20x and two sets of Soule tang sights. One MVA and one Mike Stevens, I generaly use the 20x for rimfire and like the 12 x for the 32/40 or 38/55 barrels. The 20x is probably going to be the one I use for Bench rest now that I have a dedicated bench barrel.

It's a little complicated with all this switching scopes and barrels but I have a whole lot fewer rifles than I used to. I guess thats progress.

Boats

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2005 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Wow I am getting old I purchased my Unertl small game scopes 4x and 6X new in the box at the Pony express sport shop in Encino Ca. for the inflated price of 39.95 each, Well a little while back that is. Shocked

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint