Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) CPA & Belding & Mull (Read 16387 times)
GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Re: CPA & Belding & Mull
Reply #15 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Boats

I was told the same by Dave when I ordered some everlasting cases for my CPA in 32/40. I had some extra fine steel wool on hand and it didn't take much to polish the cases up. I'll be ordering some for a 38/55 that CPA is making up. What was the inside neck diameter of your Everlasting 38/55 after being fired in your CPA chamber?
Bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Feb 3rd, 2005 at 10:35am
Print Post  
GWarden,

Be very careful about polishing cases and chambers. If carried to extremes the back thrust against the breech block will be increased substantially. Doing so would be the equivalent of leaving excess amounts of lube on the cases or chamber walls.

An example of how much cases adhere to the chamber walls during firing, can be seen in guns that have excess headspace. The cases have to be trimmed after every firing and eventually separate at the web juncture. If things are to slick then the case doesn't stick to the chamber walls as it should and all this extra force is transferred to the breech face.

PETE

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Feb 3rd, 2005 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Bob Joe  and Pete

Everything I say is "What if" as I am getting the stuff together and have not fired the everlasters yet.

Good advice on the possable sticking and will have to wait and see if it becomes a problem.

On the wads. The Seperation I had in 45/70's in the past was right were the Wad set in the case. For the 38/55 everlaster the wad will be very thin and at the extreme mouth of the case. Just to keep the powder in while loading and protect the bullets base somewhat. I don't think it will have any tendency to make the case seperate given it's barely in the mouth.

On Wad size it was a toss up.  Since I have not fired the cases who knows how they will end up. John Waters normaly supplies .386 for the 38/55 but makes up some ,380 for Ballard.  I get the inside of the everlaster at .360 as delivered from RMC.  John has a die that cuts about .370 and will make them that size.  I can push the .380 Wads he made for me some time ago inside the neck but it crimps and is not a very good fit. Trial and error and hopefully not too many errors.

Boats

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Feb 3rd, 2005 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Boats,

I think we all realize you're talking "What if". Actually a lot of what we're saying is "What if" to.  Smiley

I don't think you'll have much of a problem with case separation if you keep the wad at the mouth of the case, no matter what thickness you use. My experience has come from setting the wad down on top of the powder, which in some cases, while working up a BP load, amounted to 3/8". Also, I think, the extra thickness of your cases should help in this regard to.

It will be very interesting to see what kind of load you end up with and how close it comes to the mouth of the case with those everlastings and I hope you'll keep us informed on your progress.

This wad, just in the mouth of the case, or sitting lightly on the powder, when breech seating, has always brought the thought to mind about how contrary it is to working up loads for fixed ammo.

PETE

IP Logged

Bob_Allen
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Feb 3rd, 2005 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
In the november/05 issue of precision shooting.pg.64 is an interesting article by Gardner Johnson entitled Ackley's mistake.It is certainly thought provoking.The article deals with bolt thrust.
                     Bob Allen

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Bob,

Forgive me, I couldn't resist.  Smiley I don't happen to have the Nov. 05 issue of PS yet.

Do recall seeing the article a coupla months back, but not being an Ackley fan I didn't read it, and that issue is at the recyclers a long time ago.

PETE

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Pete
I talked to Dave Casey and he said I might have to either polish the chamber on my CPA or the cases to prevent sticking. I didn't polish them to where they are smooth, but took down the markings some on the exterior.
Bob

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Feb 5th, 2005 at 8:26am
Print Post  
Bob,

Well, the question comes up.... How come you have to polish the cases or chamber in order to have easy extraction? I know personally you've shot literally hundreds of rounds in your CPA using "regular" cases without any problems with extraction that I've heard about. And this mostly all breech seating where if extraction problems woud show up over time, it would certainly be with that method.

To me the problem is in the way the cases are made. I definitely would not fool with the chamber!

With machined cases the elastic limits are a lot less than for work hardened cases and that's why the recommendation for polishing things if you have extraction problems. I can see doing this if "regular" cases stick, but I would be very leary of doing so with machined ones.

Personally I would FL size the machined cases several times in order to try and work harden them a bit. I think this might take care of the problem.

It will be interesting to see if the everlasting cases will have this problem, or whether the problem will be worse due to the thicker walls having less elasticity.

PETE

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Feb 5th, 2005 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Pete
The machined cases I received are not as smooth as regular factory cases.
Bob

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Feb 5th, 2005 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Bob,

Well, I'm not here to convince anybody of anything. I'm sure in the end you'll do what you want. I just gave you the standard warning any knowledgeable gunsmith would give you. 

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint