Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) need spotting scope for .22 rimfire (Read 7857 times)
Joe_S
Oldtimer

need spotting scope for .22 rimfire
Jan 16th, 2005 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
Can anyone recommend a spotting scope that will allow me to see a .22 hole at 200 yds MOST of the time? My old Tasco 16-36X (20 yrs old) can only do it in perfect conditions, which hasnt happened lately. Thanks! Joe S

IP Logged

buchsenmacher

Re: need spotting scope for .22 rimfire
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2005 at 7:59am
Print Post  
The spotting scope that I use is a Kowa 822. Mine has the straight eyepiece, it is also available with a 45 degree eyepiece which is probably a better choice. I use the 27 power long eye relief lens. With this setup I can see .22 holes at 200 yards when many other scopes can't

Steve Durren

Steven Durren
Professional member, ACGG

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2005 at 8:14am
Print Post  
Joe,

It's all about lens size and quality. And the larger and better the more they cost.

I have walked down the line looking at 200 yard holes through all sorts of scopes. None will spot .22 holes when conditions are adverse. When conditions are good even the low cost scopes will spot well. The very best scopes have an advantage in marginal conditons.

I gave it up and now use a scope that is easy to carry. 9 times out of 10 it does just as well as the very large ones. It's one of the old Leopolds, 25x  The 20x of that model are even better in marginal conditons. The new Leopold variables are not good at all.

Boats

IP Logged

Corky

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2005 at 11:01am
Print Post  
I started a similar quest as soon as we started shooting those little holes at 200yds.  After a couple of years, here is what I learned.

Let Claudia spot for you!

Having 20/15 or better vision yourself is more important than your spotting scope.  We have a Kowa similar to Steve's and on a good day I can see the .22 holes.  My vision is 20/25 at best.  I still use the scope on the rifle (24X Redfield) more than I do the spotting scope.  A binocular set up with two Kowas would be better, but only marginally and the cost would not justify the difference in performance.

While I am still researching the idea, I think a wireless transmitter and video camera at the target butt is the answer.  So far I have found that to get the resolution needed to clearly see the .22 holes at that distance video is not cost effective.  Plus, even if it worked, you have to deal with weather (rain) ,set up/tear down, transportation, storage etc.

Corky

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2005 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
I had a Burris 15-45x and it was not very good at 200yds. I then bought a used Leupold 25x and it is a much better scope, even considering the lower magnification. A trick taught to me by a fellow shooter is to put a red camera filter over the lens and it helps locate the dark 22 holes on the red targets we use. Can't tell the score, but you can find the location and remove the filter to concentrate in that area..

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2005 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
If you don't mind a little rambling on spotters

There is no doubt the big modern scopes like Kowa with very large objective lens and fixed power eyepieces are the best you can buy. (I doubt if you can buy a Unertl team spotter)

But I like my little Leopold a lot. It resolves well, is very small and tough too. It's a shame they don't make it anymore. Friend of mind has one of there new variables and the picture is half as good as my fixed model. He is a bird watcher and took me to a spot were some Eagles were nesting last weekend. He could not beleave the picture through my fixed power Leopold

I think it has to do with the varable feature, and Leopold is building them for game spotting which is much less demanding than bullet hole resolution.

At the Smallbore Silouette nationals one year Leopold had a set up showing off new scopes. The 40x Varable had just come out. Old guy Put his well worn Unertl 24x spotter on the line and said if the new scope resolved better than his he would buy one.  As you can guess the Unertl beat it hands down.

I think the scopes overall leingth has something to do with it too. I have a English draw tube scope marked "Quick focus Marksman" JH Steward London. It's about 20 power and the guy that cleaned it for me said it was made in the late 40's  The scope is about 3 feet long drawn and on a clear day gives resolution as good as any. The lens are not coated and the Occular lens has some scratches but still it performs well.

If you can avoid varable it helps a whole lot and the longer and wider the better.

Boats

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Has anyone had any experience with the NIkon Earth and Sky 60mm spotting scope? I have a chance to buy a used one for $200, would like to know if it would be any good for .22 holes at 200 yds. Thanks, Joe

IP Logged

Asst
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 23rd, 2005 at 8:28am
Print Post  
I have used a Nikon Earth and Sky for years.  Bought it from Midway because of their no like return policy.

I have used it at 1000yds and down.
It is a 60mm front objective and havehad very good results with it.

I have spoted 200yd 22 holes quite abit and it does well. Nothing is going to be perfect no matter what you pay for one.
A bud a few years back couldn't see his 22 holes at 200yds, so I found all the hole for him, oh he had a Kowa 821.
None can see through the mirage. Takes some study sometime to wait it out.

I paid $350.00 for mine with a varible eye piece, 15 to 25 or so I believe.

It is a buy at 200.

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Thanks everyone, I am looking seriously at the 80mm Nikon Earth and sky, one of the sources online for them is Eagle Optics, which happens to be withing about an hour from me so I can drive there and check out all the options. I will be taking a Schuetzen target with .22 holes in it to test it out. However, I disconvered they have a house brand scope, 78mm and a little shorter than the Nikon (easier to get into the shooting box), and a little cheaper than the Nikon, ($75 less) but the Earth and Sky is nitrogen filled and waterproof, the NIkon is not. I dont know how important a fact that would be, I dont normally shoot in the rain, can anyone tell me what the significance of the nitrogen fill and waterproofing would be for a target shooter? Thanks! Joe S

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Joe-S
I have a Kowa, really great scope, but at the SHOT show I saw a great new spotting scope that Celestron has that has not been out long, has 100mm objective lens and the price was very reasonable for the quality, models are Ultima 100 and Ultima 100ED.
Yes the Unertl Co.out of Vegas is going to make the Unertl Team Spotting scope again, BUT the price retail $3,624, the whole team would have to chip in to buy one of these.
Bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2005 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Joe

I have 3 spotting scopes. The Leopold is truly waterproof. My very old Bushnell Stalker is not. And my Antique draw tube scope is not sealed at all.

I can see no pratical difference in performance on target ranges between the Leopold and Bushnell. In fact sometimes the little Bushnell resolves better than the Leopold. It's 20x while the Leaopld is 25 and I think that's the difference.

That Bushnel has spent about 20 years under the seat of my car on a window mount base winter and summer without any fogging.

The Antique one I leave at home if the weather is bad.  I did hve to clean the inside once, Dust and grease from the threads on the lens.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint