Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Newbie help (Read 6886 times)
BJ
Ex Member

Newbie help
Dec 24th, 2004 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
I am brand new to this forum and am looking for advice.  I have been shooting/reloading/casting/swaging for more than 40 years and I do a lot of minor gunsmithing/tinkering.  I have decide I want a falling block style SS.  I have reviewed several posts on this subject, with many fine recommendations (CPA, Ballard, C. Sharps, etc.), however, I cannot afford $1,500 and up for a gun.  My research looks like my choices are Browning, Ruger, or Uberti.  My cartridge choices appear to be .35-55, 32-40, 40-65 or .405 Win (I don't want a 45-70).  I will primarily be shooting off the bench, at 100 yds, cast and/or PP bullets, experimenting to find that "magic" load for mini groups.  My interests are 1. accuracy, 2. strength, 3. realitively low recoil, 4. smokeless powder and 5. fun.  I am not looking to "hot rod" these as I plan on loading to "black powder" velocities or what ever gets me the "best" accuracy (accuracy defined as 1 MOA or less).  I apologize for the long post.  I just need HELP!  Thanks.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Re: Newbie help
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2004 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
BJ,

Well, I'd say you were on the right track. A Browning, Uberti, or Pedersoli are good choices for your rifle. Your choice will depend on which caliber you want and it's availibility in that brand.

As for calibers I'd recommend the one's you can get cases, dies, moulds, etc. for easily. That reads..... cheapest! Probably the most accurate calibers in your list, and the most accurate, would be the .32/40 & .38/55. Both should give you the MOA you're looking for with smokeless with a properly set up gun. With black it will be a little more difficult, with most finding it impossible to achieve MOA on demand. It can be done but will require your gun to be set up specifically for that, which we can go into if you like.

PETE

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 25th, 2004 at 10:14am
Print Post  
My opinion on it is that the Browning is by far a better built action-----but it is not one for casual tinkering.  You might want to look through the archives here for more information on them.  I have had a 45-70 for a couple of years and shot it quite a bit and never had the courage (or a need) to take it apart.  Sometimes it is even hard to find an honest 'smith who will take one on.
  If you are strictly going to use it for target work the .32-40 may be the best bet, If you want target accuracy and hunting potential as well the .38-55 offers more, and gives up nothing in the accuracy department---I chose it to build my hi-wall for that reason. It'll have a bit more recoil and consume a little more lead and powder, but I'm convinced that larger dia cartridges are relatively less sensitive to minute variations and easier to work with. The heavier bullets may have an edge in windy match conditions as well. 
Again JMHO

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

red_stevens
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 25th, 2004 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Are you considering any action??  From your list I assumed you are looking for a Hi-wall type rifle. If you want double set triggers (helpful for maximum accuracy) you might want to consider the Pedersoli rolling blocks available from Buffalo Arms for under $1200.  Sharps reproductions are also a possibility.  If its a hiwall the Uberti  is priced very well and they can be purchased in 38-55 with DST and pistol grip stock from Buffalo Arms for just over $1000 or with a straight grip for just under $900.  At any rate give Buffalo Arms website a look see as they have the Pedersoli and Uberti replicas in stock for reasonable prices and are great folks to deal with.   Here is the link to their webpage firearms section:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Red
« Last Edit: Dec 25th, 2004 at 11:18am by »  

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 25th, 2004 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
For accuracy with the original barrel it's very very difficult to beat the Brownings with the Badger bbls or the Pedersolis with Pedersoli bbls. Dangerous Dan the Torpedo Man (Dan Theodore) is the only person in the USA to win both ends of the Pedersoli MOA Challenge, and he did it with a Browning 40-65. Pedersolis routinely shoot right up there with the high-priced rifles and are generally more reliable too.

The Uberti accuracy is an unknown quantity to me so far, but I have a sneaking suspicion that their bbls may be about as good as the Badgers or Pedersolis if the bbl maker is who I think it is. Time will tell.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 25th, 2004 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
JD,

Are you thinking of a german barrel maker of some repute maybe??

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Dec 25th, 2004 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
If you're looking for an inexpensive, low recoil cartrdge rifle combo, I'd stick with the .38-55 or .32-40. With the edge going to the .38-55. The .32-40 is equally accurate, but if you plan to try to push past the 200 yd range anytime, the .38-55 is better. Also, the .38-55 takes a bit less work to get it to shoot tighter, at least this has been my experience.
The Pedersoli is a good gun, as is the Browning, but I think you'll find more Pedersolis available in the calibers you're looking for, than Brownings; and in these calibers, the Brownings usually run a bit higher.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #7 - Dec 25th, 2004 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
BJ

Given the what you have said I would look at the Pedrisoli or Uberti. If you are interested in bench rest I would choose the 38-55. To get the best accuracy you will almost surley have to tinker with any gun. Tinkering is not possible with a Browning. The only way to work on one of those things is with a film bag. That way when your tinkering and the thing flys into a thousand pieces at least you can find all the parts. Then all you will have to do is grow a third hand and a build some special jigs to put it back togeather. This is why most sane gunsmiths won't touch them.

40 Rod

40 Rod

IP Logged

BJ
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 25th, 2004 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks very much for your replies and please keep adding any comments.  One note, I am a left-handed shooter.  Would this effect choice of action?  My first choice was the .38-55, with the .32-40 second (I like big bores).  Again all thoughts are appreciated. Merry Christmas to all.

IP Logged

red_stevens
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 25th, 2004 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
If you are left handed you may not like the rolling block.  The Sharps hammer is on the right side of the action but the hammer is so prominent that you could still easily cock it with the left hand.  The Winchester Hiwall has a center hung hammer as does the Stevens 44 1/2 action.  These would both be excellent chioces but the Uberti hiwall is much less expensive.  I don't believe the Uberti has a cheekpiece stock so handedness does not matter.  The original Winchester (early actions) cocks itself when you lever the action closed but my understanding is that the Uberti goes to half cock.  I think they can easily be altered to cock like some of the Winchesters did and this is a nice feature if you are looking to reduce the work you do when you shoot.  Some disciplines are shot on the clock and the Winchester hiwall is a big advantage in this instance.   
Red

IP Logged

Tombstone
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 26th, 2004 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
   BJ  Just call C-Sharps and get one there Target-sporting rifles in 38/55. The last time I talked with John he said he had the smaller bores in stock ! You get one of the best rifles made with one of the best barrels made and for only $1190. You cant beet that and right now. I have been thinking of a new custom rifle my self and if I don't have my Ruger #1 bored out to 38/55 or 40-65 I am ordering a C-Sharps in 40-65.
    Good Luck >>Tombstone

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Dec 27th, 2004 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
MB, actually I was thinking of a US maker up in the NE. Several yrs ago I was requested to evaluate two different SS actions for a possible project for this maker, one of them being the Uberti wall. I recommended the Uberti over the other action, albeit with a few reservations which I detailed for the bbl maker. Haven't talked to him recently but it occurred to me that it might be the same one.

However, your suggestion of a European maker is very possibly the correct one, I hadn't really thought about that! That particular European maker has certainly kicked up into high gear lately and could easily be the supplier.Time will tell.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

swifty
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Hi all:
I am another newbie with the same needs.
I can't afford the hi-dollar  custom guns.
I did call c-sharps and John said his on the shelf 38-55 was 
$2700-ouch. Thats way above my pocketbook.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint