Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lead Exposure (Read 4658 times)
Whatcheer
Ex Member

Lead Exposure
Dec 8th, 2004 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Read on the crawl line of one of the news channels last night that lead exposuree and cataracts have a link. Gee, after almost 60 years of casting, finally had cataract surgery.   

Life Member:  ASSR
                  ATA
                  NRA

IP Logged

38-55

Re: Lead Exposure
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2004 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Have handled lead for almost 50 years.  Casting bullets, lead shot, and so on.  Have tried to use common sense in doing so, such as hand washing, ventilation, storage.  Last physical mentioned it to the doctor.  Maybe the histerical news media might have something afterall.  Well the lead count is normal.  I guess commom sense might have something going for it

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2004 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
  This is a topic that comes up quite often as people are rightly concerned about Lead exposure.

A few years back a member of our club was diagnosed with high Lead levels, so several of us had ours checked to.

When I got the results back the doc told me there are at least four different standards that are accepted around the world. Each uses a different exposure level as there minimum. These will vary from a safe level of 19 parts per million to 40 parts per million.

After better than 50 yrs. of casting with not a whole lot of attention paid to exposure to Lead fumes...... I started out casting on the kitchen stove...... my Lead level was 19 parts per million.

Where the real danger lies is with small children, as I get it. Since their bone ends are not hardened any exposure they get to Lead will be absorbed by the bones, which could cause trouble in later years. For adults, according to the club member who had to much in his system, they do have drugs that will purge your system of Lead.

PETE

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2004 at 8:40am
Print Post  
After a lifetime of lead exposure, both my garanfather and my father were printers and monotype operators. I belive that lead exposure is one of the most overblown red herrings in shooting. After 50+ years of lead exposure each neither one of them had any health problems related to lead. I too got worried about lead exposure a couple of years ago. I had my blood tested the day after a day of casting . My lead level came back fine, no raised levels. All I have ever done is use commen sense stuff like washing my hands. This is an issue for the inviromental wacko crowd to use against shooters. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

stevens52

Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2004 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
As a member of a statewide haz-mat response team my blood is tested yearly. I've been watching the lead levels closely because like others I'm not the most careful. Heck, sometimes it's cold outside when I cast.  I don't like that. My wife says it smells up the basement but usually in a couple days you can't tell it. Anyhow, been casting 20+ and as yet annually see NO elevation and fall into place with my co-workers who get 0 exposure. Like 40 rod, I 'm just careful that I don't eat too much of the stuff.

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 12:26am
Print Post  
I pretty much agree that the lead exposure thing, for most of us, is overblown. I have been casting over fifty years and have no problem. However, I insure that I have adequate ventilation, I carefully wash my hands before eating, and generally try to exercise common sense precautions. It is important not to overheat lead. Lead vaporizes over 900 degrees and I stay considerably under that temperature. 

Those who smoke while they are casting are asking for trouble. The lead transfers from hand to cigarette then into your lungs. Not good. Of course, smoking isn't so good in itself. Grin

A young acquaintance of mine had some health problems, and was found to have high lead concentrations in her blood. Her father managed a commercial range and she swept up daily without any protection. Lead dust is all over an indoor firing range and you MUST wear a respirator when "raising" dust in that environment. Plus, you really need to take special precautions with clothing and personal cleanliness under such conditions.

Dale53

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2004 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
I have been casting for about 25 years, sometimes every Sat and Sun for two or three months at a time.  I have my lead level checked every year and no problems except one year when I started shooting in an indoor rimfire league. At the end of the season my lead level was 10, which was up from the ususal 3-6.   A steady dose of indoor rimfire could get you into trouble more than casting . Almost all primers are lead based and the primer residue is a potent source for lead. The dust you get when you tap a fired case on the bench is full of lead styphnate, so washing your hands thoroughly after reloading is a must. Also, the tumbling media in a brass tumbler is a  place to find lead that you might not think of, due to the primer residue. If you shoot indoors, find a way to get   ventilation. Unfortunately, most indoor ranges have little or no ventilation unless they are new. Joe S

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint