Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Winds Flags; history of use (Read 2453 times)
dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Winds Flags; history of use
Dec 7th, 2004 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
My book collection is currently packed away but working from memory, I don't recall any discussion of wind flags in the Roberts book on single shots nor anything in a couple of 1880's reprints of The Rifle. Does anyone have any info. as to the use of winds during the "Golden Era" of single shots ending, say, 1917? Were they not permitted at offhand matches?  I recall shooting at Perry during the national matches, circa 1955-56 and as I remember there was a single flag at the 1000 butt. By in and out focusing of the spotting scope mirage could be observed at various points out to the butts. 

Dick

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Re: Winds Flags; history of use
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2004 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Dick,

Back when Schuetzen was "king" the shooting was mostly offhand at 200 yds. I have seen pictures that show a flag at the target. But mostly the shooters relied on what they could see in the grass and trees. Also, most shooters shot out of shooting houses, or stalls, where the wind didn't move them around. I've seen mention that the better offhand shooters of the day would allow for the wind, so they must have been aware of it in some way. Also in "The Rifle", I think it is, maybe S&F, they show a lithograph of a wind clock set up on the range that gave a direct readout of the wind direction.

But you get to the other side of the coin... bench shooting as practiced by the slug gunners, and Walnut Hill target shooters.... and when reading up on that you will find many references to wind flags, and exactly how they were made and used. Warner in his letters to Lowe gets into pretty fine detail about them.

PETE

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Re: Winds Flags; history of use
Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2004 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Keith,

Yeah! Probably would. Might have to look into it, but don't guarantee anything since time is pretty tight.

Just did a quick look thru "The Rifle", "Shooting & Fishing", and the "Warner-Lowe" letters. You're not asking much, are you!  Smiley

For the first two the only thing I could find quick was a table showing angles of the flags and the corrections needed for the sights on the Krag rifle, circa 1901. A page by page search would have to be done to find the picture(s) of flags at Walnut Hill unless one of the references on that range in the index showed them. I don't think I have enuf time to wade thru 40 volumes.

What shows up in the Warner-Lowe letters is what I mentioned in the message above, and along with other letters doesn't get into anything anybody who uses flags doesn't already know.

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint