Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Iron sights and Silouettes (Read 14635 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Iron sights and Silouettes
Reply #15 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 9:02am
Print Post  
Pete I agree with you it bears looking into. Good project for this winter indoors with the Air rifle.

Boats

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 10:34am
Print Post  
While we are on the aperture sight discussion:

When shooting bullseyes, most tend to use as small a front sight aperture as they can and still see a ring of white around the bull. This is a serious mistake. It will work for a couple of shots, but almost immediately the eye will fatigue and then the ability to center the bull in the front sight goes away. The rule of thumb for front sight aperture size in relation to the bull requires you to use a front sight aperture that appears to be twice the size of the bull for most optical efficiency. You can easily determine this. On the bench, have the left side of the bull "touch" the left side of the aperture. Fire five shots using this "off centered" method. If the aperture is the correct size (twice the size of the bull) the shot group will be centered right on the right edge of the bull. Of course, when you are competing, you will aim normally with the bull centered in the front aperture.

Now, that is the plan for shooting off the bench or prone, kneeling or sitting  (for position shooting).

However, for offhand, as the Olympic Coach suggested and my experiments showed to be VERY useful, you use a front aperture that is big enough that "you can keep the bull or silhouette inside the front aperture most of the time". Let the readers understand that this will be a BIG aperture. It really does work and I recommend it to all. Even tho' it is VERY large, your eye will naturally center it. While it is not quite as accurate as the "twice the size" rule, your total offhand score WILL be higher with the LARGE aperture offhand. When shooting silhouettes, this large size will be better at ALL positions. What is does with silhouettes is that your eye will "ignore" the appendages (feet, legs, and head) and center the mass. This will present a far more reliable image for you to center.

"That's my story and I am sticking with it"!

Dale53

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
What Dale said. I personally use only the two largest apertures on the Ron Snover card (MUCH larger than Lyman or Shaver) and several plastic inserts with enlarged holes, except for a few Beach and Lyman convertible sights on original rifles. In this case, for me, bigger is better.
ttfn, Joe

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Dale & Joe,

I guess I'm using a WAY to small apperture then. I use the same for offhand and bench and that size for me will give me a 23 if any side of the apperture is touching the bull. Will have to give this idea a try in a little while when I do some offhand with the air rifle.

PETE

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Dec 11th, 2004 at 6:15am
Print Post  
According to the l. F. Moore article, a .125" front aperture yields the smallest sighting error; .140" is greater, as is .110".
Very interesting article. No mention of PSE.
joe b.

IP Logged

longhunter79
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Dec 27th, 2004 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Ok here are my two cents.  Im late getting in on this one.

I use a fine cross hair front.  Like in a scope.  It give me great reference vertically and I can use the vert  as a  refeerence for left and right aming points.  ie holding on a shoulder ect.  It really works for me.

Jon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint