Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Iron sights and Silouettes (Read 14636 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Iron sights and Silouettes
Dec 6th, 2004 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
I started a new thread as the othe iron thread was so long.

I used to shoot some BPCS after shooing that game smallbore and high power with a scope for some time.

I always wondered about the Iron sighting error on the irregular shaped targets. .

Last winter I bought some offical NRA airgun Silouette targets. The animals are reduced to scale, to be shot at 10 meters. In a bank of 10 half are pointed left and the other half right. all 4 animals are on the same target. 4 rows of 10

My Match air rifle is as close to a one hole rifle as I have ever seen. Just to see what would happen I shot it benchrest at 10 meters with the iron sights. All shots at the same 10 meter distance and no changes in sight settings as I changed from Chickens through the animals to Rams

There is a distinct drifting of the groups toward the head of the rams, makes sense I guess, the mass is larger on one side than the other. So if you are shooting 2 banks that are opposed you should adjust windage to compensate. I had to guess since the size of the target is so small but about 1/2 to 1 moa on rams is the best estimate. And that is to either side so your windage setting could be as much as 2moa out when changing banks

Pigs much less so in fact I could tell no difference in windage which ever way the pig faced.

On the Turkeys elevation was the problem. The groups showed much more vertical error than the other targets. The tall indistinct neck and legs must not give a sharp reference point

With the Chickens I could see no difference in group positon and the groups were well centered up. Even if they are small He is a round little critter.

I wonder if the top level BPC shooters allow for the Ram error. The other animals would not make any difference and of course you do re-sight on each bank.

Boats

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Re: Iron sights and Silouettes
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2004 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Boats,

Interesting post. will have to give that a try one of these days and see what happens.

What I've been wondering about is if it might not be better to use a post front sight rather than an apperture. My thinking is that each of the Shilouettes has a "mass" area that would be be an excellent point to float on top of the sight.

Have you tried this? If so what's your take on it?

PETE

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2004 at 12:25am
Print Post  
I have shot .22 silhouette for several years. We shoot year 'round. From April to October we shoot outdoors on steel at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards (differs from the NRA because of our range set up). From October to April we shoot indoors on paper at 50' using standard NRA targets. We shoot every Friday night, year 'round.

We started the program, originally as a sub-gun program for BPCR Silhouette and required iron sights.  Later as most of the shooters got older and were cussed with failing eyesight we allowed scopes. Now, nearly everyone uses scopes.

However, before we went to scopes we learned a good bit about shooting silhouette with iron sights. Shooting iron sights I learned that it is VERY helpful to use a LARGE front aperture. If you make it large enough the mass of the animal is placed in the center automatically by your eye's natural tendency to center the object. The head and feet become MUCH less important. Use as small a rear aperture as it takes to sharpen the sight picture. Using a large front aperture seems conterproductive at first. Persevere and you will shoot better scores.

We shoot the chickens and pigs offhand and the turkeys and rams off sticks. We hold well enough off sticks that when you practice weekly, you can really test your sight effectiveness.

Dale53

IP Logged

vbull

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2004 at 8:12am
Print Post  
Boats,
I've noticed almost the same thing when I used to shoot silhouette.  I prefer to have my ram hits closer to the head end just because there is more room for error.  The middle of the ram is quite narrow and any vertical stringing will have you under the belly or over the back.
I've found the best insert for my eyes has been the post.  Especialy for the turkeys.  My wife and I have been shooting indoors lately and we shoot the silhouette course at times.  Frank M.

IP Logged

horsefly
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2004 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Good morning, Board;

Boats has made a very interesting observation, but as a practical matter for me, I don't care that the front of the ram pulls the center.  We sight in as part of every string so that is automatically compensated.

His observation points out a real problem, though, when the color of the target or the berm changes.  For instance, there may be a weed or a dark spot on the berm or a target may be dirty on one end.  Then it takes some effort to concentrate enough to ignore the distraction.  These things will definitely change your sight.

With irons, you are centering on the mass of the target and if the target mass changes, your sight also changes.  Obviously, with a scope, you can see the target detail much better and when that becomes important you see better with a scope.

That's the way I see it.  Pun intended.

Y'all be good.

horsefly

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2004 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Dale & Frank,

Will give your ideas a try. I definitely think I need a larger front apperture as the one I have been using is set up for the air rifle bull. For the .22 50' Shilouettes I've been using a scope, but would also like to use irons.

Dale... You mention using crossticks indoors. Can you describe your setup? Not sure I can stick a set into a concrete floor!  Smiley  We've always shot the whole set offhand but would be interesting to give crossticks a try.

PETE

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2004 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Shooting iron sights I learned that it is VERY helpful to use a LARGE front aperture. If you make it large enough the mass of the animal is placed in the center automatically by your eye's natural tendency to center the object. The head and feet become MUCH less important. Use as small a rear aperture as it takes to sharpen the sight picture.

Dale,

Thanks for your post. I have found this exact technique to work for me as well.

This last Sunday I was shooting my 40/65 at 834 yards. Our target at that distance is a two-foot by two-foot steel diamond with a white center.

With both eyes you can see this target fairly well. Through the sights you loose definition and the sight-picture becomes quite marginal, especially in flat light. My fix is, as you say, a big front aperture and stop down my rear to sharpen up the little tiny dot of white as much as possible. Then hold hard and squeeze gently.

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2004 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
I also have better luck with a larger front aperture. I much prefer the plastic inserts in various colors offered by Lyman at different times, especially since it's so easy to increase the hole size. However these are not legal for silhouette since they're plastic and not metal.

Ron Snover offers a card of steel inserts that have a range of sizes that go up much larger than the Lyman or Shaver ones, and they also have a much narrower annulus ring that allows for better target acquisition. With the thicker Lyman annulus ring, I find myself sometimes sighting on the wrong target simply because the ring obscures too much. Also the larger thinner Snover ring is much easier to use in offhand, when it's important to time the swing-and-squeeze, because, again, the shooter can see more of the target area.

I used to use a post exclusively when shooting RF gallery in college, and it was OK in the very-well-lighted indoor conditions. Still I eventually found the aperture to be better for round bulls. But when I transitioned to outdoor target shooting, I quickly found that, for me at least, the post was inferior to the bead in poor or varying light. The top of the post was getting lost in the bottom of the target blur while OTOH the top of the bead was still fairly distiinguishable. Differing light conditions always cause increased verticals with either post or bead but for me the bead definitely gave smaller groups in varying light conditions.

This is an old argument, Lucian Carey in his thinly-disguised stories about J.M.Pyne/H.M.Pope makes reference to the problems of post-vs-bead. But I still much prefer the large front aperture to all other target front sights I've seen.
FWIW, ttfn, Joe

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2004 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Pete;
We are using a "3rd Generation" of indoor "sticks, presently. They are quite a bit better than our previous ones.

Make the base a piece of 2"x10". Hardwood is better because it is heavier (hardwood CAN be expensive so I used yellow pine which truly has hardwood characteristics {weight}.

Use a piece about 18"-24" in length. If you like "pretty" bevel the edges with a router. Buy a short length of 1"x2" oak about three feet long. Cut it in half. Rout the center part of each with a slot several inches long to fit a 5/16" or 3/8" stove bolt. I use a knob instead of a nut so that it can be incrementally adjusted while in the prone position. Mount the "routed" cross sticks on the base with a short piece of the oak, narrow end down (on each side) and screwed and glued to the base from the bottom. Run a bolt thru the center of each short piece fastened to the base and pivot the "sticks" on them. Your cross sticks will be pivoting on the bottom end and "collected" with the center bolt in the slots. 

Here is a tip. Make the cross sticks first. Then take two short pieces of the same material. Cross drill the short pieces in the middle of the wide side for 5/16" or 3/8" stove bolts. Use of aircraft nuts will allow you to exactly set the tension that you like without pulling the nuts up tight to hold. The plastic inserts in the nuts will tend to hold the nuts tension that you choose without compressing the wood. With the cross sticks fastened to the short strips, then set them down on the wooden base and mark the position. You have to offset the stick bases the width of the sticks. I can't tell you how many overlooked this and ran the short bases in a line causing a bind in the cross sticks. Grin

Install three rubber door stops (the rubber things from your building supply that look like rubber cups - used to stop door handles from crashing into the wall behind when a door is opened carelessly). These are installed in a tripod manner and will be the three legs that the base will sit on. You can put one in the center of the base on one edge and the other two in opposite corners. If you prefer, you can put one on each corner of the short side of the base and one in the middle of the opposing short side. Both placements seem to work just fine.

Some of the fellows finish the stick and base to furniture standards and they are pretty sharp. These indoor sticks are actually better rests than using NRA sticks out doors.

If you need any clarification, please ask.

Dale53

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2004 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
I thoroughly agree with the poster who stated that plastic inserts are better (where they are allowed).  The best are the ones for Anschutz aperture sights that are sold in a set by Champion's Choice in Tennessee. 

Some time ago, I read a really good book by an Internationally known Olympic coach. He stated for offhand, that you should use an aperture large enough that you can keep the target inside most of the time. As you improve you holding, you can then reduce the size of the aperture IF you think it will help. 

I tried that with .22 silhouette and it was a revelation. It really, really works.

Dale53

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 7th, 2004 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Dale,

Excellent post on the indoor crosstick setup. I've got a fairly complete wood shop so should be able to scare up the necessary hardwood. Think I hear a nice piece of Cherry calling me right now.  Smiley

Joe,

Sounds like me and you came up about the same way when it comes to sights. I can still remember the guys telling me how much better I'd shoot if I'd switch over to apperture front sights. Too a long time to convince me to change, but haven't used anything else on a rifle since.

Never did get partial to a bead sight!

Like you and Dales suggestion to go to a bigger apperture for shooting Shilouettes. I probably use a bigger one than most for bullseye shooting but can definitely see that I could go bigger for the Shilouettes.

PETE

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Dec 9th, 2004 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Looks like all agree on large arpetures for the front sight.  While the post are used by some for older eyes they are difficult.

As a pratical matter on my Anscuutz prone rifle even though the front arpeture is adjustable it is always open as far as it will go. Same for my Schutezen rifle. It has the largest insert always.

The rear is another thing I adjust it according to light avalable. The MVA Hadley disk are a real advantage to a Single shot shooter and perhaps the best single advantage in sight picture. I never had an adjustable real on my single shots before but after my SB prone shooting I bought one for my Schuetzen rifle right away.  My older BPCS CPA does not have an adjustable rear Arp.

With the rear It's a balance of sharpness vs ablity to resolve and changes a lot according to conditions.  The more you stop down the better the resolution but when it shuts down due to lack of light it's pretty complete. 

When I was shooting smallbore prone I used a polarizing filter on the rear sight in daylight but unless the sun was against me or real strong it hurt more than it helped. I guess they would be good for BPCS but are not allowed under the rules.  For Schuetzen and the well defined bull I suppose they would only be of limited advantage.

At Asheville NC the morning sun is real difficult but in our game you just wait it out and don't have to shoot a relay when the sun is against you.  If you fired fixed time relays on that range I guess you would have to have a polarizier

Boats

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Dec 9th, 2004 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Boats,

Quote:
For Schuetzen and the well defined bull I suppose they would only be of limited advantage. 

Well, I'm not to sure about this. All I've used for Schuetzen shooting, as far as irons go, are the Hadley eyepiece. It works ok in most instances, but, I've found when you go to a smaller opening the edges of the bull become fuzzy, or that sharp "crispness" the bull has when things are set right, will start to fade.

I'm thinking possibly that as you stop down the rear sight you would have to go to a larger front. What do you think?

PETE

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Dec 9th, 2004 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Pete I don't think there is any direct connection between the front sight size and how much you stop down the rear. Here is my unproven theory.

That is either a large or small front arp. (never can spell it) will fade out at the same rear stop. It's ambient light dependent while the front arp. is generaly adjusted according to the size of the bullseye.   

I say I don't think so but tell you the truith cannot say for sure since I have been on a pattern of always using the maximum front sight opening.

I would be intresting to test.

Boats.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Dec 9th, 2004 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Boats,

Basically I never change the front apperture once I find one that gives me the amount of white I want. The only time I'll change is if I get to feeling that it needs changing.

So..... I just change the rear opening till the bull jumps out nice and black and the front sight is sharp. But I have noticed that if you stop it up or down to far either the front sight fuzzes or the bull tends to lighten up in color, becoming a more gray than black. That's why I was wondering if changing the size of the front apperture would possibly keep the bull nice and sharp looking thru a wider range, and keep the front sight sharp.

I certainly don't want to go to a bigger front apperture and then find when I adjust the rear to get the front sight sharp, that the bull starts fading, or vice versa.

I guess all a guy can do is some experimenting. I've never played around with trying to change front appertures, but our conversation here seems to indicate it might be something that needs doing if we want to improve our scores.

One of the advantages of apperture sights is that when set properly you don't have to be constantly trying to focus between fornt sight and bull.

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint