Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic A freak accident (Read 3278 times)
cc_Shoter
Ex Member

A freak accident
Dec 5th, 2004 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
I had a close call in my reloading room today.  I have track lighting over my reloading bench with incandescent bulbs in it.  I also have not been very good at cleaning up spilled gunpowder.  I load both smokless and black powder for several rifles and pistols.  I turned on the lights and heard something falling and than there was a sizzling sound and than the room filled with smoke.  I ran over to the bench and stomped out the fire which consisted of buring paper.  I cleaned up the mess and noticed a broken light bulb in the debris.  I looked up and sure enough one of the bulbs was broken.  There was nothing but the screw in base left.  Apparently when I turned on the lights the bulb exploded and showered the reloading bench with hot filiments which ingited the spilled powder and started the fire.  Fortunatly I was able to extingish the fire before any damage was done.  I have replaced the incandescent bulbs with florescent ones and will take better care in cleaning up when I spill powder in the future.

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Re: A freak accident
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2004 at 12:28am
Print Post  
cc_shooter;
Thanks for bringing this potential problem to our attention. I am pretty much a slob in my workshop. I have some cleaning up to do - sooner, rather than later.

Dale53

IP Logged

Footloose
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2004 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
cc_Shooter, 

Make sure that you have the diffuser on the Florescent fixture or that you install a couple of wires around the fixture and bulbs to keep them from droping on your head if they should vibrate loose.  Also the stuff inside the bulbs isn't any thing you want to breath if they should fall and break.

Footloose

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2004 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Flourescent lamps generally don't fall out, as they are either turned in, or have spring loaded ends. Still many have shop style reflectors that don't have any lenses, or guards over the lamps.
Best to not have a light directly over the loading bench. I installed mine so the light is directly over me, when I sit at the bench, rather than over the bench. This also elminates shadows created by your press, and other equipment. I also have a articulated arm style light on one end of the bench, that can be swung into place, if I'm doing something that requires extra light temporarily.
I've wired up a number of reloading rooms for friends, and indirect lighting creates a situation with less shadows, and is safer than directly over the bench.
Thanks for the heads up cc_shooter!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint