Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sighting Error (Read 16767 times)
joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Sighting Error
Dec 2nd, 2004 at 7:01am
Print Post  
Pete mentioned sighting error. I thought I had read about it, and put it in the don't-matter-much category. I asked Rudi, and he sent me the Rifleman article-Factors of Sighting Error, by L. F. Moore, April 1977. This was from the old days, when it sometimes took more than 15 minutes to read a Rifleman. Anyhow, it looks like there isn't much sighting error after basic equipment and practice is correct. I remember noting that there isn't much difference in accuracy after sight radius exceeds 24", and used this info to make my tube sight.
Everything you want to know, from Rudi, for a few bucks. What a deal!
joe b.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Re: Sighting Error
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Joeb,

I think you misundestood what I was getting at. I wasn't talking about sighting error induced by the distance between your sights, or your sighting equipment.

What I was referring to was your Personal sighting error (PSE). This error is caused by your eyes ability to resolve a given point at any given distance.

An example...... Personally I can see the 25 ring on the 200 yd. ASSRA target at 200 yds. I know many people who can't even resolve the 25 ring of the 100 yd. target at 100 yds.

Ask any target shooter and they will tell you that if you can't see it, you can't hit it! This is why the scope shooters use those 36x, 40x and higher power scopes, even at 50 yd. .22 bench matches. In our Schuetzen club we have shooters who use 20x & 24x scopes for offhand shooting.

Now a certain amount of PSE can be overcome by knowing how to use good sighting equipment, which will reduce this error in anyone, and a great deal of practice. But in the end, with iron sights at least, you will have some sighting error. The really big problem is that the older you get the worse this PSE will be.

As I said in my other message I don't feel particularly handicapped with iron sights against a scope at 100 yds., but at 200, even with the best sights I can afford, I can shoot better with a scope.

Quote:
I remember noting that there isn't much difference in accuracy after sight radius exceeds 24", and used this info to make my tube sight.

I will agree with this altho I've never tested for it. In smokeless Schuetzen  iron sight shooting most will shoot nothing under a 28" barrel just for the reason you state. In BP shooting with iron sights the barrel length is determined by two factors for most people. One..... the barrel has to be long enuf to give a complete burn to the powder. 32" seems to be a good minimum. Second..... Most like to have a barrel about 34" long as that will give a distance between the sights of about 36". The iron sights used are set up so that in that length 1 point will equal 1 MOA. If you use a shorter barrel you'll have to do the math to figure out what part of MOA you're getting.

PETE

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Col Whelan gave a good sum of of sighting error.  I will shorten it.

"The unaided eye can only distinguishing diferences between two objects to 1/100 inch. In pratice that's 1 moa  So the best of iron sights have a built in error of 1 moa"

" A telescope reduces this error by the power of the scope, That is a 10 power scope will read to 1/10 of moa. 20 power 1/20 moa etc."

I have found this to be accurate.

Boats

Boats

IP Logged

horsefly
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Good morning, Board;

I use apperture sights on rear and front and shoot at what is essentially a round or oblong target (BP ctg silhouette) and with all due respect to the good Colonel, I think he is overly pessimistic about one's ability to shoot irons.

When I first started shooting silhouette, I wanted to see how much the iron sights handicapped me.  So I mounted a nine power Redfield scope on the gun (scope known to be accurate) and shot several groups at 200 yds alternating with the iron sights.  At the end of the shooting, my average with irons was just a very little bit better than with the scope.  I think that there was no real difference with the slight advantage being experimental error.

Yesterday morning, I fired two groups from the bench at 200 yds and both measured under 2 1/4 inches.  That's not MOA, but ruler inches.  You always have to recognise the chances of serendipity, but I just don't believe there is automatically one minute of angle error.

I have also seen eight and nine inch groups at 545 yards with irons.  While I don't know how your sights are set up, I do know that properly set up apperture front and rear can do much better that one minute of angle..... or else we are shooting ammo with zero dispersion.

I know it just doesn't seem right, but.....

Y'all be good.

horsefly

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Boats,

I'll go along with the scope reducing the amount of error, but also have to agree with Horsefly in that a good apperture front and rear sight will distinguish better than MOA.

If you will recall I mentioned I can resolve the 25 ring of the ASSRA target at 200 yds. That's 1 1/2". Plus I can resolve the 25 ring at 100 yds. which is 3/4". That right there is under MOA.

But, I would suspect shooters like David Tubb can resolve finer than that.

Now this is with the naked eye. With a good iron sight system this resolution would be even better. A crude test for this would be to form a small circle with your forefinger, and vary the size and see what happen. Things that look fuzzy to you with the unaided eye will sharpen up when you adjust the hole just right.

This is the same way that an apperture rear sight works with a Hadley eye cup. If you have, say, a Gehmann fully adjustable rear and front sight it would amaze you how much sharper, and clearer the target will be when both are adjusted correctly. Doing the PSE test, I mentioned several messages back, many years ago, I at that time had a PSE of 5/8" at 100 yds. This is better than the 3/8" PSE at 50 ft. I had when I was on the school shooting team 45 yrs. ago. But then I've shot a lot of irons in the meantime.

An example of how resolution works when shooting...... I hate the red bulls that are on one side of the ASSRA targets because even when I look thru them with a decent apperture sight the edges of the bull are not distinct. So whenever possible I shoot the black side as the edges of the bull are nice and sharp and it's easy for me to center the bull up in my sights. My scores show it to with the red bulls scoring less than the black.

Now here's the kicker. Probably the best shooter in our club shoots the red side and says he sees that best. Yet he claims that he doesn't see anything as clearly as he did 10 yrs. ago.

So, no matter how good the sights it really boils down to what your eyes can resolve, and that's something each person has to find out for themselves.

PETE

IP Logged

j_c_johnson

C C Johnson's grandson

Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 7:08am
Print Post  
As I recall, in the days of the late Colonel the standard in highpower rifle shooting was the aperture rear and post or blade front.  With the .055" front blade of the Springfield and the geat backlash in the sights of his day the 1 MOA built in error becomes apparent.  That said, with a good aperture front and rear the error is reduced.  My best groups in smallbore at 50 yards on a calm day with even light have been produced with metallic aperture front and rear sights and have been in the .32" vicinity.  This is under 1 MOA and is from prone with a sling.   When it comes to error in aligning the sights, the greater the sight radius the less error induced 
by a small misalignment by the shooter in aiming.  This also points out how critical it is to place the butt on the shoulder  and the head on the stock in the same pace for each shot.

Failing to pay attention to the small stuff will bite you hard every time!  My scores have been testimony to this repeatedly.  

As to the Red vs. Black target, the black is best for metallic sights for the very reason stated: red is not enough contrast with the buff target paper to see with metallic sights.  Red is easily seen with the scope, with the added advantage of easily seen .22 bullet holes which are hard to see at 200 yards in the black even with a top end spotting scope.  

Just my 2 cents.

Jerry Johnson

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 7:39am
Print Post  
Jerry,

Quote:
Failing to pay attention to the small stuff will bite you hard every time!  My scores have been testimony to this repeatedly.

Amen!

Quote:
As to the Red vs. Black target, the black is best for metallic sights for the very reason stated: red is not enough contrast with the buff target paper to see with metallic sights.

If I have to shoot red bulls I like to shoot the one's the NMLRA puts out. They have just a tint of black in them, and for me at least, show up about as well as a straight black one. These will also show .22 holes at 200 pretty well.

PETE

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 5th, 2004 at 6:43am
Print Post  
Quote:
Boats,

If you will recall I mentioned I can resolve the 25 ring of the ASSRA target at 200 yds. That's 1 1/2". Plus I can resolve the 25 ring at 100 yds. which is 3/4". That right there is under MOA.

PETE

I don't know what this means. The ASSRA 200 yard target has a big black, not just the 25 ring. Also the 100 yard target. Does this mean that you can distinguish the 25 rings in the black? Or does it mean that you can see the 25 rings when they are cut out and put on a white background?
I can't see very well but can see the blue 3/4" pasters I shoot at at 100 yards, if I try hard. I shoot irons at 100 yards at a target with a 5 1/2" black, and have found that the most comfortable. At 200 yards we used centers for some army target, I believe that the black was 12". This was a fine size for shooting offhand or bench with irons or scope. Rhis target has a 7" 10 ring and 3" X ring, and offhand targets in the high 190's were frequently shot with scope or irons. 
I was told several times that the scope is not a great deal more accurate than the irons, and my experience is that I can shoot almost as well with irons as with a scope, for group, from the bench. I can't see-resolve?-the 1.65" 10 ring on my 5 1/2" black target, but I can hit in that 10 ring. 
?Hughes shot a 250 in ASSRA competition a while back, first time with irons. And not that long ago we watched Jerry Ventura shoot the first 250 at 200 yards in ASSRA competition. So both these guys, fairly recently, shot 250's for the first time, scope and irons. Certainly it's easier with the scope, but not very much easier. I think if more people shot irons bench we'd see small groups and high scores and that irons are almost as good as scopes.
joe b.   

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 5th, 2004 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Joeb,

Quote:
Or does it mean that you can see the 25 rings when they are cut out and put on a white background? 

Obviously you're not familiar with the ASSRA targets. So..... The iron sight, 200 yd., 25 ring, is white spot 1 1/2" in diam. and is in the center of a red/black bull 12" (approx.) in diam.

In fact IIRC on all ASSRA targets the 25 ring is white, so I'm not sure how you can talk like you do later in this post and not know this?

When this target is posted at 200 yds. I can distinguish this white spot from the surrounding red/black bull. From discussing this with the guys in our club it appears that about 1/2 can pick this out and the rest can't. The 100 yd. offhand targets 25 ring is a 3/4" white spot set in a 6" red/black bull.

Quote:
This was a fine size for shooting offhand or bench with irons or scope. Rhis target has a 7" 10 ring and 3" X ring, and offhand targets in the high 190's were frequently shot with scope or irons.   

And... If you'll look at the size of the ASSRA targets that I mention above you'll see these sizes for the bull have been considered pretty much the standard for over a 100 yrs.  Smiley
  I would think that almost a perfect score would have to be shot at 200 yds. these days in order to keep in the running. 30 yrs. ago when I was a lowly Marksman in High Power I could shoot into the low 190's. That's a pretty big target!

Quote:
I was told several times that the scope is not a great deal more accurate than the irons,

To a certain extent I think this is true, but a great deal depends on two things. The distance and what your eyes can resolve. As I mentioned before I don't feel especially handicapped with irons against a scope at 100 yds. because I can "shade" the sights well enuf to keep up with the rapidly changing conditions we normally experience at our range. At 200 yds. tho I can't resolve things fine enuf to be able to change the position of my sights the 1/8" or 1/4" sometimes necessary.

I freely admit there are people out there who are far better at resolution than I am. The two people you mentioned who shot 250's on the ASSRA target are certainly two of them.

I'll have to ask around to see if any of the better shooters in our club have ever shot a 250 with irons at 200 yds. in registered competition. I wouldn't bet on it, but know of one guy who has shot a few with a scope. My personal best is a 244 with irons and a 247 with scope at 200 yds., in competition.

Quote:
I can't see-resolve?-the 1.65" 10 ring on my 5 1/2" black target, but I can hit in that 10 ring.   

Neither can I if the center is the same color as the rest of the bull. The reason you can hit it tho is that with a good set of appertures, front & rear, your resolving power goes up by a good percentage (rember the finger trick), and you are easily able to center those appertures up around the bigger bull.

As you know, the 100 yd. Small Bore Rifle target is all black, including the 1" X ring. Using a CMP legal AR-15 I can keep all shots inside or touching the X ring. So even tho I can't see the X ring it's easy enuf to hit with fairly decent sights.

Quote:
I think if more people shot irons bench we'd see small groups and high scores and that irons are almost as good as scopes.

Naturally! The thing that's keeping it from happening is for the same reason we don't see much in the way of offhand competition. Age!..... IIRC, I think someone posted quite a while ago that the average ASSRA members age was in the low 60's. That reduces down to physical conditioning, and eyesight as the causes of not as much interest in irons over scopes, and lack of interest in offhand.

PETE

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Dec 6th, 2004 at 6:15am
Print Post  
I haven't seen an ASSRA target in over four years-since we moved to God's waiting room. So you, and others, can resolve = see the 1 1/2"-thought it was 1 3/4"?? white spot at 200 yards. I still don't know what this means as far as shooting with irons goes, or why age and deteriorating eyesight affect the ability to use irons. I have poor eyesight, wear trifocals and can't see much without them. When I look through an aperture rear and aperture front sight, I focus on the target through my glasses and seem able to hit it. I see no problem. Where age and eyesight hurts is with pistol sights-impossible, and post front rifle sights-close to impossible, and open rear rifle sights-again close to impossible. But the aperture sights on my rifles work as well as they did 40 years ago, I think.
So what does the ability to see a small white dot have to do with shooting at a big black circle?
joe b.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 6th, 2004 at 8:19am
Print Post  
Joeb,

Quote:
So what does the ability to see a small white dot have to do with shooting at a big black circle

It seems you're not reading my messages very well, or you have a very short attention span. I covered the "why" several messages back. So, I'll just keep this short......

Being able to resolve small objects is necessary to being able to "see" the edges of that big black bull. If you can't "see" the edge clearly you can't center the bull up in your sights. This is why I prefer the black over the red bull, and will shoot better scores with the black.

If you have something along the order of Gehmann front and rear sights you can pretty well adjust them so the bull is nice and sharp unless you have really bad eyesight. But, in games like BP Shilouette you aren't allowed to have that type sight, as far as I know, and I don't see anybody locally using them in Schuetzen, so don't know if they are legal or not. On top of the Gehmann's you can add any number of colored filters and polarized lenses to help. Even put in prescription lenses. All this allows you to shoot well into old age when the eyes ability to focus and resolve things goes downhill. But......

In CMP (service rifle) competition you are only allowed an apperture rear and open post front sight. So, in order to be able to "float" the bull at High Power ranges the better you can resolve the edges of the target the better your score will be. I know guys in their 70's still shooting it and doing as well as ever, and I know guys in their 50's who've quit because they can't "see" the bull.

So, depending on the game you're playing, and the sights allowed, will depend on what level of eye resolution you will need to be successful.

PETE

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Dec 6th, 2004 at 8:42am
Print Post  
I suspect when Col Whelan gave his 1 moa estimate of sighting error with Iron sights we was describing the average of many shooters.  I will still say that's a good broad average of experenced iron sight shooters error.   

I have shot a lot of small bore prone and truly believe once a person gets to a certan level the ablity of your eye to determine alignment is the thing that seperates the real good shooter from average.  Certainly some shooters can see tigher than 1 moa but not many.

You can check your sighting error.  We went through this drill many years ago when I was on a junior smallbore team.

Set up your rifle (action open) in a firm rest.  at 100 yards put up a plain white paper, Target reversed will do.  Then cover it with another target with the bull visiable but not stapled on the board.

Then have someone move the bull up and down L & R according to your hand signals. When it's alligned properly call out and the target man punches a hole through the center and onto the plan paper under.

Give it 10 trys and remove the visiable bull.  The group formed by the punched holes is your personal sighting error. As I recall there were some substantal differences in how each person grouped. 

Boats

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Dec 6th, 2004 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Boats,

Quote:
  I will still say that's a good broad average of experenced iron sight shooters error.

I certainly won't disagree with you. I've said virually the same in numerous messages on this Forum. But apparently some don't believe in the possibility that people have a PSE. I can see why since your eyes age, and with it the resolving power, so slowly that if you don't do the test you mention, every few years or so, you won't be able to tell the difference. All that will show up is that for some reason your scores go down. But that will be slowly to.

I recall back when I was shooting Bullseye pistol competitively 35 yrs. ago. Man! Those iron sights were clear as could be. Best I could do was Sharpshooter till I got out of it. About 5 yrs. ago I got back into it again. Sights didn't look quite as I remembered them but my scores were pretty good. Even better than they were back then (high Expert), so just figured I didn't recall things right.

After about a year with no improvement I got into a conversation with some of the older guys in the club about how using a dot sight had really helped them keep on shooting in their class. They finally talked me into putting one on my guns, and like they said, it easily added five points to my score on every target. Enuf to bump me up into Master Class.

So, unless you're one of those fortunate individuals whose eyesight doesn't deteriorate with age, what your eye can resolve, even with 20/20 vision, will go downhill over the years.

Quote:
As I recall there were some substantal differences in how each person grouped.

The first time we did this on the rifle team I thought it was the oddest thing that even at 50 ft. there were substantial differences in the "group" size between individuals. But after reading a little about it, and talking to my eye doc, I learned that, as in everything else, people are individuals and some are better than others.

You can improve your ability to resolve things quite a bit thru practice. Dale53 has been writing an interesting series of articles in the ASSRA Journal on using the air rifle during the Winter to keep in practice for offhand. Altho he doesn't mention it, as I recall, part of this practice is to keep his eye in to. I've found that if I don't practice with iron sights during the Winter that it takes me about two weeks in the Spring to get my "eye" back.

PETE

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Dec 6th, 2004 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Pete,

Without a doubt you can improve your sighting error. I was forced by a overseas job to only shoot smallbore prone for 3 years. It was the "English Match"  50 meters all iron sights. The club had a lot of older shooters as well as some former members of the Australian Olympic team and a good number of experenced high power shooters. The equipment was the very best, rifles and sights. Filters adjustable arpetures etc. They were very good about coaching too.

The club ran one record and one pratice match on Wed evenings, two record  and one pratice matches on Sat mornings.   over 250 matches per year all on the same range. It was a great way to focus on small details, the same thing over and over.

One thing I fould when shooting the irorn sight matches was my eyes were letting me down.  I had just turned 50 and always had excelent vision in the past. I only wore glasses to read and then did not need them unless doing a lot of reading.

One of the older shooters gave me a very good trick that still serves me well. He aligned the rifle on the target and closed his eyes. Then opened them to comfirm his positon. Then closed them again and fired as soon as he opened the 2nd time.

He said and I found it to be true that older eyes can resolve but not for long. Your vision is clearer as soon as you see the bullseye but quicky fades.  I still use this method when shooting either my Air rifle or Schuetzen rifle offhand with Iron sights. You don't need to see the target for very long and will always break a better shot if you let it off right away.

Now My Hudson match scores are hardly any different iron or scope. And sometimes I think I shoot easier and better with iron because I break so quickly. With the 20x scope I tend to fuss too much looking for a better break.

Boats

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Dec 6th, 2004 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Boats,

Quote:
You don't need to see the target for very long and will always break a better shot if you let it off right away. 

Now if I can only take this advice.  Smiley I tend to ride the shot to long and know I should break it faster, but having a tendency to chicken finger and wanting to get the best shot I can, it's one tough habit to break. Part of my problem is that I seem to be blessed with eyes that don't tire/fade fast, and I have the ability to hold the shot for long periods of time, so altho I know I should break it faster, I know I can hold long enuf for the best shot. The real problem is that I get away with this more times than not.

One thing I've noticed is that if I eat a heavy meal a coupla hours before a match that my eyes aren't as sharp as when I eat a light meal, or nothing at all till after them match.

Quote:
Now My Hudson match scores are hardly any different iron or scope. And sometimes I think I shoot easier and better with iron because I break so quickly. With the 20x scope I tend to fuss too much looking for a better break.

Have to laugh about this as I'm not steady enuf for it to make any difference if I'm using irons or a scope. I read how the old timers said to put pressure on the trigger as the sights move deeper into the bull, and hold it as they swing out. Repeat as necessary till the shot breaks. Yeah! Sure!  Smiley My sights go thru so fast my squeeze doesn't even start till it's out in the white on the other side!

Gonna have to try the other trick I read they do. Sandpaper your trigger finger to increase the sensitivity. Some times they would get carried away to the point their finger would bleed.

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint