Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sighting Error (Read 16755 times)
mes
Senior Forum Member

Re: Sighting Error
Reply #15 - Dec 7th, 2004 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
>>>>Have to laugh about this as I'm not steady enuf for it to make any difference if I'm using irons or a scope. I read how the old timers said to put pressure on the trigger as the sights move deeper into the bull, and hold it as they swing out. Repeat as necessary till the shot breaks. Yeah! Sure!  Smiley My sights go thru so fast my squeeze doesn't even start till it's out in the white on the other side! >>>
Pete
Try putting pressure on the trigger and hold that pressure until the sights are right.  I find that if I do that I get a better break of the trigger than if I don't put any pressure on the trigger until I want the shot to break.  I think there is less thought to the shot break and less disturbence to the rifle in finger and hand movement. Anytime I can shoot offhand without thinking about the shot I shoot a better score.
mes
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2004 at 3:45pm by mes »  

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Dec 7th, 2004 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Martin,

Quote:
Anytime I can shoot offhand without thinking about the shot I shot a better score.

I agree with this 100%. For me tho it's the hardest thing to do, but as you say, if it breaks without thinking you can almost guarantee a 23 or better. Trap and Skeet shooters have a phrase for it...... "Shoot Stupid!". In other words, in our game, focus on the front sight and with enuf training the trigger will break at the right time.

PETE

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Dec 9th, 2004 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Pete,

That breaking quickly is a real advantage.  The old "Russian" book on target shooting that NRA used to publish has a chart on hold quality vs time. I can't recall the exact times but hold goes fast after a few seconds.

It's like shooting Skeet, you swing into the target and break the shot. That's also the essence of Tubbs method offhand. He swings into the bull from the same spot ever time. If it's good he breaks the shot if not he backs off and approaches again. I think his method was to give it a few tries and if not satisfied puts the rifle down and starts his mount sequence all over again.  The thing thats not like skeet in our game you don't have to shoot and have time to try it again. No flying bird to worry about.

On trigger finger sensitivity. It is good to make sure your finger is ready to feel the break.  I don't go as far as to sandpaper but I do tap my trigger finger against the trigger guard when setting up just to make sure I am feeling what I should be paying attention too.  It's also a good mental "trigger" to put your focus in place.

Boats

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Dec 9th, 2004 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Boats,

Like your idea of tapping the trigger finger on the trigger guard to make sure you have the feel of the gun, and get your focus in place.

What I find my biggest problem is, is concentration. If I look thru the sights to long it seems like for no reason at all my mind will drop what it's supposed to be doing. Seems like your mind goes and takes your focus on the sights with it. It's not so bad if you haven't broke the shot, but sure plays havoc with your score if it happens just a split second before the shot breaks, and you can stop the squeeze.

PETE

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Pete,

Different triggers different methods, but all about the same idea.

With a heavy trigger like Hunter class Small bore silouette rifles I pulsate on the trigger about like you see in various books and articles. I am not so sure the trigger is moving but the finger is. My Smallbore and Highpower hunter class rifles  have 3 lb pulls so you can pulsate on them without breaking a shot.

With a non set match trigger or a set trigger like our Schuetzen rifles that tapping off on the guard is doing the same thing.  On single triggers non-set like on an air rifle or a good Anschutz 54 I will even tickle the trigger a little bit before breaking. I can't do that with my set triggers they will let go. Either way It just focuses you on the right sensation and control.

I hardly ever shoot it anymore but I do have a match rifle on a 03 action that has a double stage. Whe I shot it in matches most other match shooters that used 2 stage triggers wiggled the first stage a lot before taking up the final slack to break the shot.

Boats

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Boats,

Had to laugh about you "tickling" the trigger a bit before taking up the slack on a two stage trigger. Was out yesterday blowing the cobwebs out of the Krag for the upcoming CBA Postals. MAN! There ain't no tickle for that gun. I'll have to measure the trigger pull but bet it has to be better than 10 pds. It's not hard to control off the bench but I was also thinking about maybe trying the Military Offhand Match with it but think I better find another gun for that!  Smiley 

PETE

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Dec 11th, 2004 at 9:37am
Print Post  
Pete

I used to shoot the CBA postals a lot but have not for some time. About 10 years ago I won the Mil carbine match with my Kraig.  I think the group was about 2 1/4 inches aggragate for the 20 shots.

A Kraig or O3 trigger will clean up but never be very light. 

Now that I am semi-retired and have more time I just may take out another CBA membership.  I wish ASSRA would run a simular program. I entered ours a few times but never saw any results of the matches.

Boats

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Dec 11th, 2004 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Boats,

Well, I hope you do get out the old mil. rifle and join me, and others, in shooting the CBA Postals. Don't tell anybody but I think I got Forrest thinking about it to.  Smiley He's gonna get out his 03 this weekend and shoot a few rounds thru it.

As for the ASSRA having Postal matches..... They do! Just for .22's indoors tho. Might be wrong about this as I seem to recall they wanted to institute something for outdoors to. They usually publish the results around Oct./Nov. in the Journal. Not sure when we'll see this years results tho. Jim Borton has run it in the past so maybe if he sees this he can fill us in on what's what.

Maybe we ought to start a new thread on this to see what kind of interest there is.

PETE

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Dec 12th, 2004 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
  As for the ASSRA having Postal matches..... They do! Just for .22's indoors tho. Might be wrong about this as I seem to recall they wanted to institute something for outdoors to. 

PETE and Boats,

I was involved with the CBA's postals for many years, both as competitor and scoring hundreds of targets for the members.

It is a good program I think. Mighty fine especially for people who are kind of new to shooting: Too green for a real should-to-shoulder match but looking for something more than endlessly working up loads for their own enjoyment.

The CBA postals do not have much offering for Single Shot Rifles though; only one match per year as I remember. We could possibly do better along those lines in the ASSRA.

Good afternoon,
Forrest

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #24 - Dec 13th, 2004 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
The ASSRA also has an outdoor 100 shot 100 yard offhand postal.  Send to Jim borton for the information and targets. mes

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint