Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 22 (.224) cast bullet makers (Read 17600 times)
oldsingleshots
Ex Member

22 (.224) cast bullet makers
Nov 28th, 2004 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
I'm looking for anyone that is currently selling and casting .224 bullets (45-60gr).

Having checked with several makers - the common response has been "no, too small, to much of a pain to deal with".  I don't currently cast as i've been able to find good supplies of 25 and 32 calibers that I currently shoot.

Have found plenty of sources for the molds themselves (maybe I should start casting) - but thought I would just check on the forum first before pulling out more $$$ for casting equipment.

Thanks.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Re: 22 (.224) cast bullet makers
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Old SS's,

There might possibly be someone somewhere that does cast .22's commercially but I haven't heard of one either.

As for the commercial casters saying it's "to small", to much of a pain, etc., sounds more like a copout than anything else. I think that just due to demand they don't want to order moulds since the actual casting wouldn't be any more difficult than any other caliber. 

Personally I think .22 bullets are easier to cast than any other size and wgt. tolerances will be tighter.

I also think that you will need to do your own casting for the .22's since I've never seen any commercial casters bullets that were the equal of what you can cast yourself. For the .22's this is critical if you want to get any kind of accuracy at all.

PETE

IP Logged

oldsingleshots
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
PETE - 

I think you're right.  The commercial casters aren't looking to promising - I did locate one .224 22 caliber - but not in the profile i'd like.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I also agree with you on the accuracy point.

Regards-
oldsingleshots

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 5:44am
Print Post  
Quote:
Old SS's,

Personally I think .22 bullets are easier to cast than any other size and wgt. tolerances will be tighter.

I just went through a year's work with a 22 and cast bullets, shooting and casting well over 3000, and found the weight to vary about the same as any other bullet. So I'm in process with an article contending that the standard deviation of bullet weight is independant of average bullet weight. Got data on well over 6000 weighed bullets from 55 to 445 grains or so. My experience is that it is MUCH harder to get a 22 to shoot than a 30 or 32. I was not successful with a new rifle, 3 molds, and a year to work at it.
joe b.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Joeb,

I'll certainly agree that getting .22 calibers to shoot can be a long tiresome process. Of course a lot depends on what you plan on doing with it. If for Squirrel hunting, and other small game, and the shots are not much over 50 to 75 yds., then it's fairly easy to get acceptable "head shot" results.

But, if you plan on shots at 100 yds. plus, then it becomes a real chore. I worked with three different guns with two different bore sizes, three different twists, and 1/2 a doz. bullets ranging from 35 to 110 grs., four different sizing dies, alloys ranging from Monotype to pure Lead, and I don't know how many powders, and I spent two full years shooting every week day until I could finally say I had some loads that would put five shots into 1 1/8" at 100 yds. on a regular basis.

Working for a coupla months this past Summer with re-swaged spitzer .22 bullets showed slightly better results. At 200 yds. I could hold MOA vertically, but the slightest air movement would string the shots out 3 or 4" horizontally.

As for casting....... Well, I don't know what the tolerances are that you expect from casting those diam. bullets, but will say that for .25 & .28 cal. I expect to have a max. spread of .3 gr., and for .22's I expect a max. spread of no more than .2 gr. At least 75% of the bullets will be less. As the calibers go up this will increase somewhat but even with the 600 gr. .50 bullets I expect + or - .3 gr. when I cast, and anything over that goes back in the pot. or are used strictly for foulers.

PETE

IP Logged

oldsingleshots
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
PETE -

Quote:
I'll certainly agree that getting .22 calibers to shoot can be a long tiresome process. Of course a lot depends on what you plan on doing with it. If for Squirrel hunting, and other small game, and the shots are not much over 50 to 75 yds., then it's fairly easy to get acceptable "head shot" results.

Yes, my primary use will be for relatively close small game hunting.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Old SS's,

I'd say then you shouldn't have any problems working up several loads with either smokeless or BP. I've found either powder will give very good accuracy for Squirrel hunting at normal ranges for them.

I like the .22 Hornet for cast bullet shooting as it has a small enuf case capacity that the load you come up with aren't so small you have to worry about powder positioning with smokeless. With Black Powder this case's capacity duplicates the old .22 WCF, or the .22-15-60. Lots of fun to set up a Low Wall in this caliber and a BP load and pot a few Squirrels with it.

PETE

IP Logged

oldsingleshots
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
PETE - 

It's the 22-15-60 that I’m after - as you may have seen over the in reload topic.  It's amusing to hear very similar, if not identical ideas from folks that really love single shots.  I'm referring to an idea I had to shoot cast 22 caliber bullets from hornet brass with reduced loads (possibly approaching sub-sonic) and how that would be a great squirrel rig.  Had several family members / friends try to tell me what a waste of time that would be - "why not just shoot 22RF sub-sonics - aguila, pmc moderators, etc..."

I keep telling them they are missing the point.  It's being able to work up (resurrect) a caliber/load/single shot rifle that's at the heart of it all - walking out back (i have some property to hunt on) and coming home with dinner etc... or shooting as good or better groups of holes in paper with the old single shots is just the icing on the cake.  Smiley

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Old SS's,

I certainly agree with you! I've kinda had a hankering to try out those two different .17 RF's, but whenever the feeling gets to strong I just ask myself.... WHY? As you say, I can work up any kind of load I want in the Hornet and it will shoot well enuf to suit me.

But, I have to tell you that, unless you turn out luckier than I did, you won't be able to quite get the accuracy with a .22 CF as you will with the .22 RF..... at any range.

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Oldsingleshots,

Pete has it right.

I just wanted to add that when fellow goes to the necessary trouble to cast and load 22 caliber cast bullets in his centerfire rifle it can turn into some very fine shooting.

You can't duplicate jacketed speed but it is readily possible to go right on up into the mid 2000s with remarkably little trouble with the GC 22 caliber cast bullet.

Good afternoon,
Forrest

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Dec 7th, 2004 at 12:55am
Print Post  
I have apparently had some different results than you other fellows have with .22 centerfire cast bullets.

I have a Ruger #3 with custom wood (originally chambered in .22 Hornet and rechambered before I got it, to .221 Fireball). I also have a Contender pistol with a 10" heavy barrel in .221 Fireball. My original desire was to build accurate small game loads (I used to LOVE squirrel hunting).

I have a rather large supply of linotype so my first alloy was straight linotype. I tried this simply because there is NOTHING that casts better than linotype. The bullets cast extremely well as I expected and my first load (4.0 grains of Unique) put five shots regularly in .5" at fifty yards from the Contender. It also shot equally well in the #3. My experimenting was over almost before it began. These were gas checked bullets (Lyman 225415 and I believe sized at .225). I used Remington 6˝ primers. 

My Contender only had a low powered pistol scope on it and I did not try it at 100 yards. Neither have I tried the #3 at anything but 25 and 50 yards (I normally shoot squirrels no farther than 50 yards or so). With .5" at 50 yards this means that up to fifty yards, if I am properly sighted in and I do my part, the rifle will strike the squirrels head within  1/4" of the aiming point.

Like most rifle squirrel hunters that I know, I try for a head shot. However, I will take a body shot if no head shot is presented. The 225415 at about 1200 fps with it's flat point is a noticeably better killer that a standard velocity .22 rimfire with round nose. You can hear the "plop" as the bullet hits.

I would recommend that you try linotype the next time you try casting .22 bullets. I also believe that gas checked bullets are somewhat easier to get to shoot.

I always shot for groups when the conditions were good (at our range, early morning is generally good and also the last hour of daylight in the evening).  I have little doubt that in any kind of wind and shooting at 100 yards I would see MUCH more dispersion.

YMMV
Dale53

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Dec 7th, 2004 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Dale,

I think the results I've gotten with the Hornet are very similar to yours at 50 yds. Sometime I'd like to have you take your load out to 100 yds. and see what you get. As I've mentioned, about the best I could consistently get at 100 was 1 1/8" - 1 1/4", and that would be on as quiet a day as it was possible to have.

Might have to try straight Lino with the spitzers I was playing with this past Summer. 1-20 was as hard as I went because I didn't want to damage the swage.

PETE

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #12 - Dec 7th, 2004 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
oldsingleshots:  I do not see in these replies that anyone is making and selling cast .22 bullets (your original question).  If there is someone who does, I would like to purchase some also.  I have loading info for cast loads but have never found a source for the bullets.  Any help out there?

IP Logged

oldsingleshots
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 7th, 2004 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
25-20,

Another ASSRA member was kind enough to provide contact information for a casting company that does produce 22 caliber lead cast bullets in 38, 41, 50, and 62gr. - possibly more...

Penny's Casting, P.O. Box 314, Topanga, CA 90290, phone: (310) 455-1567

All of the samples that this member sent to me have gas checks already installed from round nose, flat nose, to fine point.

oldsingleshots.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #14 - Dec 8th, 2004 at 8:24am
Print Post  
oldsingleshots:  Thank you!  Will contact the company today and GCs are fine.  Have wanted to try cast bullets for some time.  Cast too much lead in my youth to want to get into casting bullets now.  Thanks again for your reply.  2520

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint