Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Wind Flags (Read 34800 times)
PETE
Ex Member

Wind Flags
Nov 20th, 2004 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
  For the last several years I've been using some home made flags which for the most part have worked fairly well. Plus I've made up a wind probe, which Dale53 is familiar.

But GWarden and I have been discussing getting some boughten ones. Next Saturday we'll be going to visit a guy who makes them and looking over what he has. Here's his web site.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Since neither of us know all that much about "store bought" flags, I'd like some opinions on them, and maybe some web sites for flags that you've found to be satisfactory.

PETE

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Re: Wind Flags
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Used to shoot M14's at Quantico on 80th Div Large Bore Rifle team.   

Wish I had a picture of the flags there (just yellow caution tape streamers).  It was "interesting" to see the flags going left at 200, right at 300 and TOWARDS eachother at 600.

The ability to read the wind sorted out the good from the best.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Cat,

Know what you mean about the flags going every which direction. Happens all the time on our 200 yd. range, and I hear it's about the same at EG.

What both GWarden and I have been using is probably very similar to what you remember. Two pieces of surveyors tape attached to a crude swivel.

The swivel we have, I think, is part of the problem. I personally don't think it's quite sensitive enuf to wind direction as those on the web site mentioned above. Tape works great tho.

Plus the staffs aren't quite high enuf to get into the air currents the bullets will be passing thru. Many times I've seen flags set at the same distance, but different heights, blowing in different directions.

Thus the asking for input on what others have found to be good, and maybe something we should be looking for so we don't go throwing good money out the window. Considering the price per flag and stand of the above you don't want to be buying several of them and then find out they're not good enuf, or there's something better for the same money.

PETE

IP Logged

Asst
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 6:53am
Print Post  
Pete,

A few years ago I saw flags as in the web site.

I being tight I made mine, including the adjustable stands.

The duel vane flags are much easier to tell at what angle the wind is coming from, (1/4ing, etc) Because of the stripes on them.
The stripes give those angles faster than a single vane.   
The wheels will kind of give you an idea of velocity along with the tails.
The duel vanes are very sensitive, very.
And they seem to not go past the current wind, if that made sense.

Making the vanes is super easy, a coroplast stuff is used. It is a plastic corogation that they make signs from.

The signs posted on utility poles makes great material...... or you can buy it at a plastics company. The sign stores are outraous on costs of it. 

Not sure of you have access to lathes bur the adjustable shafts are EZ too. Any metal conduit works then just make a coolar with a thumbscrew.

But they duel vanes are very nice.

Then I made a Hog Pan Wind Directional indicator that I use right up with my wind probe to give wind direction at a glance.

I can send you a photo of the HPWI if you'd like.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Keith,

Now that was funny. Between the time I read your message and went to reply the site went dead on me.

Anyway. Great post! Just what I was looking for. Wouldn't mind making my own flags either, being the stingy sort to.

But was at a loss as to where to get that corrugated plastic that looks like cardboard. Anybody got any idea besides a plastic company or sign shop. Not sure if we have either around here. Maybe something like a hobby shop, or an art supply store. Probably be pretty expensive from those places to but about all I can think of that might have the stuff.

OK on the two vane type. A .22 bench match I went to this past Fall had both double and single vanes in about equal numbers, but very few of the daisy wheels. Like the idea of the double vanes not oscillating past the wind. I didn't notice this at the .22 match as the wind was pretty steady, but have noticed this effect at our matches where the wind is constantly changing directions. Sometimes just as you're breaking a shot.

Yes, I have a lathe so making the adjustable slides on the shafts would be no problem. Was thinking of maybe making the vane supports and pointer shafts out of arrow blanks. What do you think?

What did you use as pivot points? Some kind of bearings?

The big problem now would be making adjustable poles. Any ideas on this??

Yeah! Send me a picture of that Hog Pan Wind Indicator. Sounds intriguing! All sorts of visions are running thru my mind on that one. If it's not to large a file, and you don't mind, I can post it in a following message linked to my web site.

PETE

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Quote:
 For the last several years I've been using some home made flags which for the most part have worked fairly well. Plus I've made up a wind probe, which Dale53 is familiar.

But GWarden and I have been discussing getting some boughten ones. Next Saturday we'll be going to visit a guy who makes them and looking over what he has. Here's his web site.

Since neither of us know all that much about "store bought" flags, I'd like some opinions on them, and maybe some web sites for flags that you've found to be satisfactory.

PETE

Pete -
Interesting website.  From the discussion and looking at hte pictures the dual vane type looks good.  His address caught my eye - used to go yard-saling in that neighborhood when I lived in Des Moines.  Good section of town.

I'm willing to donate a handfull of sealed ball bearings of various sizes for the project if you want them.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Cat,

The guy is going to meet us at the Des Moines Gun Show out at the fairgrounds, and when we're done looking he's gonna take us to his place. Good thing to as I'd have to get out the map so I could find where he lives.

Thanks for the offer of the ball bearings. I'll certainly take you up on that if we can resolve the adjustable pole thing. I've got one idea, but it's not to elegant, so.......

I'd like to just throw money at these flags but at $59.00 apiece (probably need at least 4) for a double vane flag and pole, or $61.00 for the same with daisy wheel, I'll want to make them if I can.

Yard saleing? We call it "junking" up here in M'town.  Smiley

PETE

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Pete -
I'll gather up 8 bearings of the same type.  All new, but taken out of new motors (we make DC brushless motors) and when we take a motor apart we NEVER put the bearings in a motor that goes out the door.  But they're great for uses where they're not turning at 6 to 10,000 rpm.   

M'town eh?  I grew up in Grinnell.  I think we've exchanged emails in previous years.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
Cat,

Yeah, we've probably exchanged emails on other Lists/Forums. Haven't changed ny signature since the day I started on the web so if you remember that...... it's me!  Smiley

When I saw in your signature "winery", if I got some ball bearings from you I was going to ask you to send me a bottle of wine to. But guess if you rework DC motors, the wine must be a hobby.

Not to sure what size ball bearing I'll need since I've never tried building anything fancy in the way of flags. Just have to wait and see what comes up.

For those interested here's the web address of an article on making the wind flag poles that's in the CBA archives, and written by Ed Doonan...... a heck of a nice guy and shot a few CBA matches at his Wind Hill Range near Aledo Ill. Was sorry to hear of his passing.

As Ed mentions in his article, these poles are kind of crude but serviceable for the type of flags he made up, which are mentioned to. I happen to have some pieces of PVC of the right size and they might work, altho as I mentioned in my last message..... not very elegant!

PETE

IP Logged

EdStutz
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 10:01am
Print Post  
Pete,

I reccomend using 3/4" or 1" conduit, won't flex or bend in the wind, also aluminum rod from Home Depot either 1/4" or 3/8" dia. I use 1" dia alum for the collar. Turn the end for slide fit ( no retaining screw needed it won't come out) inside the conduit up about 1" then leave the top part about 1" as a collar then drill thru for the rod and add a set screw in the side of the collar to hold the rod at whatever height you need. I use use 3 to 5 foot sections of conduit, add sections together with connector hardware to get way up. Use 3' sections of rod to mount the flag and to get fine tuned height. I have gone up to 35' high using conduit up tp 2" in dia and stepping down with each peice so that the last piece will be 3/4", step down connector hardware is available to acheive this..........Simple but effective.

Ed

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Ed,

Thanks! Another good idea, altho I think around here anything more than an 8ft. in length on the pole would be more than sufficient. All of the ranges I shoot at are level and about the only hgt. differences would be if we wanted to extend the flags up high enuf to get close to the trajectory. Some games tho, like .22 benchrest will only allow you to extend your flags no higher than the bottom of the target frames.

Man! Where do you have to use 35 ft.?  Smiley I don't think they would need that at the Wind Hill Range where they have one pretty deep ravine running across the range between the 100 and 200 yd. berms.

I like you idea tho, but one question. What do you use to keep these poles from falling over? A ground spike, stand, or....?

PETE

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen,

I need a design for wind flags at our 1000 yard range!

The firing line is on one side of a big ravine and the target on the other. I'll need a staff for the flag about 250 feet tall I think to show mid-range conditions with the combined drop of the drainage and the hight of the bullet at that point in its flight.

Good afternoon,
Forrest

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Forrest,

Well, I was gonna say I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. But guess that's no where near long enuf!  Smiley

PETE

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Pete!

There you are!

Actually here in Wyoming we don't really use the log-chain type wind indicator at all. 

Some chosen spots, like Rawlins down south or Livingston up in Montana, now there they have some wind!

Here we have the usual winds like everyone does and address it by having two kinds of indicators visable from the firing line. One is the light indicator: The 10 foot strip of "Warning" tape at 600 yards and then the heavy indicator: A regular airport 20 knot wind sock also at 600 yards but on a different location. 

Twenty knots translates to 23 miles per hour. That is, when the sock is straght out with no droop at all the wind is at the sock's design limit of 20. After that you're welcome to guess!

I myself have the worst time judging conditions when things are light, puffy stuff. The lousy 11 o'clock - 1 o'clock switch and so forth.

When the wind is strong, like 15 to 20 minutes or more of "condition" cranked into the front sight I find that although it may be strong, it is also quite steady! Over any distance (say 600 + yards) you may rely on this and shoot anyway even when the wind right at the firing line may show a serious departure from the average when comes your turn to fire.

Good afternoon,
Forrest

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #14 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Pete -
Got lucky today.  Have 10 bearings, good shape.
1.574 OD 
0.669 ID 
0.472 thk
Send me your mailing address (PM) and they're yours.

Consider something like a tube into which these could be mounted (in the ends) that would affix to the vanes.  That would allow a post from say .750 turned down a bit that could be assembled by dropping the assembly down onto the post.

Thanks,
Tim K

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint