Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Wind Flags (Read 34790 times)
EdStutz
Ex Member

Re: Wind Flags
Reply #30 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Pete,

I'd try a bandsaw on high speed. Or a good 'sharp' knife.

How many flags in 200 yards?   One of the best slug shooters back when I started said divide the range into quarters and put out 3 flags, any more gets confusing. Theory says you will get a good average over the range you are shooting. Works for me. That shooter won many championships and records. Has since retired from slug gun and now shoots shotgun.

Ed

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #31 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
(Given a steady wind across the range) the bullet is most affected right after it's fired.  That is to say, changing it's angle of flight slightly has more of an affect early on as opposed to just before it hits.  So if I had one flag it would be at the shooting bench, two flags would be at the shooting bench and perhaps 1/3 or 1/2 way down range.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Ed,

Yeah. I suppose it can get kind of confusing if you have to many flags. Right now I put out three for 200 yds., but would like to try more just to see if more are really needed. Won't know unless I try it.

PETE

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Cat,

I've always put my first flag out at 25 yds. and then spaced the others out as I felt necessary. A lot depends on which way the wind is blowing. Our prevailing wind is from 7 to 11 o'clock and with berms at 25, 50, & 100 yds. the wind tends to swirl around them so you have to be careful how you space out the flags or else you won't catch how the air is working around them.

The flag at 25 yds. I try to get as calm as possible since when the bullet switches over from CoF to CoG it is as unstable as it will get and needs all the help it can get to go to sleep.

Also the further down range you go the less time the wind has to deflect the bullet so the less attention you have to pay to it. So for me the wind on my face and at the forst flag get the most attention with less attention paid the further out they are.

PETE

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #34 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 6:38am
Print Post  
Quote:
 I've always put my first flag out at 25 yds. and then spaced the others out as I felt necessary. PETE

That makes sense to me; and the transition area.

Here in the mountains of Virginia one has to drive a number of miles to find a range long enough.  A 100 yard range is about it unless one will drive over 50 miles.  Opposite problem when I was in Iowa, where one had to drive a number of miles to find a place with a good back-stop.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Cat,

I can bet it can get kinda tough finding a place in the mtn.'s, but thought you guys pretty well shot from mtn. top to mtn. top!  Smiley

As you know, around here it depends on where you're at whether it's flat or not. Altho not particularly flat there are plenty enuf places around M'town to shoot. A 100 yd. range about 7 minutes from my place, a 200 yd. range 15 miles East (tepee town), a 300 yd. range 35 miles West at Maxwell, a 200 yd. range 37 miles north at Steamboat Rock, a 500 and 1000 yd. range at Ackley, and another 1000 yd. range down around Pella. If I want to drive a bit more "Monty" has a nice 100 yd(?) range there. Will be going there next Summer for their High Power matches.

Then of course of  ifyour uncle Joe owns a farm you're home free as far as a place to shoot goes!

So.... Maybe you need to move back!  Smiley

PETE

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #36 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 8:52am
Print Post  

I have always felt that it takes at least 4 trips to a range to figure out where the wind flags should go. Gaps in treelines burems ect cause the wind to do strange things. I have seen some ranges that depending on the direction of the wind the flags had to be placed differently to tell you what was going on with the wind.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #37 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Pete -
Blast from the past.  Good to hear those names.  My draft board office (drafted: May 14, 1970) was just down the street and around the corner from Brownell's - when they were in the old movie theater on the town square.

It's tempting with the kids/grand-kids in De Soto and Minneapolis.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Cat,

Boy you do go back a long ways here if you remember Brownells being up town. Only was there once, but have been at the new place out on Hwy. 63 more times than I care to remember. They have expanded the lobby from what it used to be..... but not by much!

Thought you'd like to here the names of places you were familiar with.  Smiley

PETE

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
One of these days I'd like to shoot while having a spotter!

PETE,

How can a fellow shoot without a spotter?

Ah, well, I really do know the answer and do my share of shooting by my own eyeball of the target. 

On the other hand, when the steel gets marked up a good deal it is very hard to identify which hit is your last one! The spotter can usually see the "dime" jump off the target and give you an idea where you hit it.

P:  Wind flags and indicators, if used, are what the shooters around here use. Like anything else it takes a while to learn how to use them. Those that do are usually the best shooters.

F: I know what you mean. And! I'm still learning about which flag to watch for a given distance and direction.

P:   The big problem here in the East is three fold. One.... The wind rarely blows steadily so you can "chase" it with your sights. Many shooters will line their guns up solid in the bags, and then just look at the flags and pinch the shot off when they think things are right, and do this without looking thru the sights. 

F: The timing of the whole thing is different here. Since all of us shoot the same target, one shooter after another, the expectation is for you to shoot when your turn comes. If you wait around for the condition to return to "normal" the other fellows will soon be ragging you terrible to get your round down range!

This leads a shooter into shooting the "first shot" over and over again if the conditions are shifting to any great degree! This is where the wind indicators and the ability to understand them makes a match, or not.

P: Two...... Most ranges have to be set up on "waste land" and as such it can be pretty rough. Probably the worst I've seen this way is the Wind Hill Range near Aledo Ill. Third...... The shape of the land, berms, and surrounding trees, etc. break any wind up so any flags you set out can be pointed in any direction, and show half a dozen different speeds. Personally when things get to complicated I'll depend on mirage.

F: Sure. Here I know of no range at all which is set up on anywhere nearly level ground. The Quigley site is probably one of the flatest around but, of course, there are no flags or indicators of any kind permitted at "Q" by the rules.

We contend with the virtical component of wind a good deal here in Sheridan, espeically when the wind is from the east.

Thanks, It was a good day.

Good afternoon,
Forrest

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Forrest,

Around here the only steel we hit are the Buffalo Shilouettes at an NCOWS match. They either fall over or don't, so there's no problem with whether you came close. A spotter would be nice so you'd know which way to hold or adjust your sights, but that's not the way the game is played. Other than that we punch holes in paper and with a decent scope you will see all your holes. In any case spotters aren't allowed in any of the matches I've shot in.

PETE

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #41 - Nov 27th, 2004 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Pete and I went and saw the fella from the first web site that Pete had posted that makes the wind flags. Wow, what a education on wind flags. Found out how much I don't know about wind flags. These are really quality flags and stands that David makes. 
Bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

Tom_in_NC
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Dec 17th, 2004 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Pete:

Here be another set of flags what you can look at. I am kinda leaning towards these for myself.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Glenn

Glenn, you will be very pleased with these. I own 5 of these and 5 of the Harris flags advertised on benchrest.com

The plastic material used in their construction is the best. As you know there are several grades of this stuff and the lower quality found at most sign shops does not weather well. These do. Mine are 4 years old, have been set in rain,and snow for 2 to 4 days at matches and have never warped. Indeed, I have a Harris Flag marking the site where I buried my shooting partner (my dog)  at the range 3 years ago and I ocassionally have to borrow it when I've left my flags back home. Wilbur Harris shared a lot of info with Charlie when he first got into making flags. Both flags are fully adjustable for balance and Charlie's double vaned flags have stripes on the inside surfaces so reading angle is easy. Both breakdown for easy packing and are quick to assemble and disassemble - no excuses for not taking them with you to the range!

I use Wilbur's for certain ranges and Charlies for others. One thing I like about the Harris flags is I can place one at legal height (below bottom of target) and offset the rest by a foot or so to the left and 3 inches  or so lower all the way back to the bench. Set up like this I can usually pick up the furthest 3 in the scope and the 2 closest and most important ones with my left eye. When the front ones indicate a favorable condition, I consult the 3 in the scope for confirmation or adjust for value and touch off the shot.

The Hood's can be set up like this as well but sometimes I feel the double vanes are too distracting and I spend more time looking when I should be shooting and miss a good condition or fail to observe a fatal change in condition.

If you can only afford, 3 flags, I'd recommend keeping them simple ones, like the Harris Flags, and learning how they react to varying conditions. I keep one in the backyard where I can see it from the livingroom. I will periodically look out at the flag, glance at the trees and grass and to correlate the effects. I've found this has improved my ability to read real world conditions in the field without flags.

Another tip, if using surveyors tape as a flag tail, go with the 3 mil thickness tape. Lowe's and Home Depot usually sell the thinner 1 and 2 mil tape. The heavier tape will drop faster to indicate a let up in the wind and will not react as wildly as the thinner stuff when the wind resumes. 

One of the most accomplished bench rest shooters, Ed Watson, uses an unusual flag design that rarely lies. His flags are not much bigger than a pack of cigaretts, long edge parallel to ground and one short edge pointed, about 1/8 " thick, balsa mounted on pins about 1/32 dia. on top of music stand tripods weighted down on the bottom legs. The legs can be pushed into the ground to level the flag pole (very important to balance the flags so they are not gravity biased and swivel freely). The tails are multi strand , almost pinky thick yarn, knotted every few inches. These tails seem to give a more accurate indication of wind pick ups and let ups than either surveyors tape or grosgrain ribbon. By varying the number of strands , they can be tuned/weighted to the prevailing wind strength.  As many as 6 of these flags can be positioned so all appear in the scope without obscuring the target. 

The balsa vane itself is more of a visual indicator of direction as the tails actually weigh more and serve as the rudder for the wind to push against. This is just opposite of the vane function of other designs.

In other designs, the wind has to overcome the mass of the vane plus tail plus metal mounts and structure before the flag moves. I believe subltle but important condition changes have already occurred before the flag can react. Add some turbulence from a daisy wheel and the situation is not improved. Since Ed doesn't sell these flags, they are a homemade, yet simple and inexpensive, proposition! The hard part is finding suitable steel pins and making the mount from stand to pin. --- Tom

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #43 - Dec 17th, 2004 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Mr. Tom in NC:

Thanks for a well written and most informative post. Nothing like some first hand experience to get to the bottom line. I will reexamine the two flags with what you said in mind.

I really like the idea of a wind flag in the yard. I am going to do that.

Glenn

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Dec 17th, 2004 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Tom,

I'll second what hst says. Appreciate your first hand accounts. We'll be picking up our flags tomorrow.

From your descriptions it sounds like our maker and yours have pretty much the same idea as to how flags ought to react and what makes them work the best. He has available the knotted yarn, or you can buy your own, and he likes it almost as well as another type he makes up. This is slightly stiffer/heavier material than surveyors tape and holds it's shape so end doesn't flap around when the breeze is more than a coupla mph. If you would take a cross section of it it would look like a "U".

One thing I've noticed is that flags can be to sensitive. Probably for calibers like the .22 RF the more senstive the better, but there seems to be some indication that flags can react to quickly. I've heard, but haven't tried the idea out yet, but some will set their flags up with two tails of surveyors tape and will then wgt. one of them down with a bullet. This way you can see the slightest wind pickup and then use the heavier section for holding off.

What I'm planning on doing is to use the wind indicator part of my Kestrel to make up a set of small drawings showing the different positions of the surveyors tape for the different amounts of wind.

There are a lot of tables out there that will tell you how nuch you need to hold off for a given wind amount, but so far I haven't seen any that will show me what that wind amount will look like on MY wind flags. So, I'm hoping with that info I can get a little better handle on how much to hold off.

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint