Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Wind Flags (Read 34819 times)
PETE
Ex Member

Re: Wind Flags
Reply #15 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Forrest,

Well, those switchy winds are what separate the men from the boys. I've shot in very few matches where the wind was blowing steady where you could crank your sights over and shoot as if there wasn't any wind. In fact the .22 benchrest match I shot a coupla months ago was the first.

Cat,

Like I said..... Lets wait and see what happens this weekend. If I decide to make my own I'll defintitely get in touch.

PETE

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #16 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Pete -
No problem.  I've got all of 5 minutes invested thus far.

Hmmm.  Wind flags.  Does the wind blow in Iowa.

Sorry, but that phrase ranks right up there with the sun rising and a bear in the woods.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Nov 23rd, 2004 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Cat,

I have read somewhere that Iowa is the windiest State, altho I'm sure there are States where it blows a lot harder, because I've been there.  Smiley The term Blizzard was invented here!

I think a lot of the wind comes from all those farmers telling tall tales at the coffee shops in the morning!

PETE

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Nov 23rd, 2004 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Pete:

I have a sheet of the plastic corrogated cardbord stuff if you still need some. Any color you want as long as it is white. When you work out the approximate dimensions let me know and I can chop it up into suitable sizes to ship.

Glenn

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Nov 23rd, 2004 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Glenn,

Thanks! Sounds pretty good. I haven't had a chance to look around to see what I can come up with yet, so might take you up on it. White sounds good to me as I'll probably have to paint one side another color so I can tell which way it's pointing if I don't use a daisy wheel.

In any event I want to see what this guy has to offer, and maybe I can get some ideas as to sizes etc. Maybe even buy one to see if they work like I want, and then get around to making some. Got all Winter.

PETE

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #20 - Nov 23rd, 2004 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Pete
We are thinking along the same line of buying one and trying to duplicate. There is the "hobby shop" in Des Moines where we could get the vane material and some really big supply places in DM. We could end up with a day of gun showing and wind flag chasing.
Bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Nov 23rd, 2004 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Bob,

Glad I don't have to convince you of anything then.  Smiley We'll have to just take a wait and see on the whole deal. I can think of some other materials that might work out ok to.

Will bring along a little miniature of what I'm thinking of for a pole for you to look at, and a friend is gonna send me some pics of his setup.

Right now I kinda like how Ed Doonan in that web site article I posted to.

PETE

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Nov 23rd, 2004 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Pete:

Here be another set of flags what you can look at. I am kinda leaning towards these for myself.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Glenn

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Nov 24th, 2004 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Glenn,

Thanks for the heads up. I really like how they fold up, which I'm not sure the ones we'll be looking at will. Price is a little higher than the others, plus we'd still have to come up with poles, which I think I can make ok.

PETE

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #24 - Nov 24th, 2004 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Pete
The corrugated plastic in colors is available on my way to Crow Shooting Supply. Sign maker at Holiday lake has it in colors.
Bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 9:19am
Print Post  
  Well, those switchy winds are what separate the men from the boys.

PETE,

Sure. And one might mention, the solo shooters from those who have "spotters" working with them!

I've looked over the wind indicator posted here and I might just buy one so I can set it up on our range for eveyone to use. Until it blows away or something.

Is it true that Iowa is windy?

I mean really windy, not just when a thunderstorm is nearby or a bizzard going through. Like, are there certain places around your country where wind-generators are set up to get power from the prevailing winds? You know the places: Like I-40 between Palm Springs and LA or I-80 between Cheyenne and Laramie, or I-90 between Livingston and Bozeman.

P: I've shot in very few matches where the wind was blowing steady where you could crank your sights over and shoot as if there wasn't any wind. In fact the .22 benchrest match I shot a coupla months ago was the first.

F: I didn't mean to say that no adjustments were necessary. Only that the big major portion of the wind is dialed in up front on the wind-gage sight and then the smaller changes were chased on the rear tang sight.

It is Thankgiving Day. Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow and can't go shooting today because of all the family in my house.

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Bob,

Cool! Can you get some idea of what the price would be per sheet, and the size of the sheets?

PETE

IP Logged

Asst
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Pete,

When I was checking on the cost of sheets of coroplast a couple years ago for backers at the range I did a search for, plastic, sheets, rolls, extrutions.

I believe it was on yahoo yellow pages.  I got the sheets for under 8 bucks a sheet, 4x8.
The sign shops will gouge you big time.

The first vanes I made I used the signs off the utility poles that advertized for jobs, ins, etc.

The convience stores that have signs for soda, ciggarettes etc are coroclst, see what they do with them when they change them.  Laquer thinner removes the ink they are printed with.

I will get a photo of the HPDWI, and the poles, this weekend I hope, things have been busy here with appointments.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Forrest,

One of these days I'd like to shoot while having a spotter!  Smiley I'm not sure a spotter would be a lot of help here anyway, since most of the ranges I shoot the winds are so squirrely that it would be an almost impossible job for a spotter.

Wind flags and indicators, if used, are what the shooters around here use. Like anything else it takes a while to learn how to use them. Those that do are usually the best shooters.

Quote:
Is it true that Iowa is windy?

Yep! It is. On most days it will be calm up to 9 AM and when we have a match we try to get the .22 matches shot then, because after that it can get a little "troublesome" shooting the small bores.

Of course I'm not talking about the straight line winds we have that'll get up to 80 or 90 mph a coupla times a year, or the 148 tornados we had this year. 30 & 40 mph winds are not uncommon, but mostly we'll get winds in the 10 to 15 mph range.

Wind generators...... I can look out the front door and see one off to the SW. A town West of here (Nevada) has three of them to power the school system. Many farmers have them set up. As for " wind farms".... yes..... up in the NW part of the State there are two I have heard about and one being built.

Quote:
Only that the big major portion of the wind is dialed in up front on the wind-gage sight and then the smaller changes were chased on the rear tang sight.

The big problem here in the East is three fold. One.... The wind rarely blows steadily so you can "chase" it with your sights. Many shooters will line their guns up solid in the bags, and then just look at the flags and pinch the shot off when they think things are right, and do this without looking thru the sights. Two...... Most ranges have to be set up on "waste land" and as such it can be pretty rough. Probably the worst I've seen this way is the Wind Hill Range near Aledo Ill. Third...... The shape of the land, berms, and surrounding trees, etc. break any wind up so any flags you set out can be pointed in any direction, and show half a dozen different speeds. Personally when things get to complicated I'll depend on mirage.

Well, hope you, and everyone else on here, have a good Thanksgiving!

PETE

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Keith,

Thanks for the info.

We'll definitely have to look for a source of supply for the coroplast material. If we do as Ed Doonan suggested in his article we'll need seven apiece. Which brings up the question.... How many wind flags do you use for 200 yds.?

$8 for a 4x8 sheet sounds pretty good, and, yes, I suppose a sign shop might put the screws to you. Of course shipping a 4x8 sheet isn't gonna be cheap either. Did you have it cut down into smaller pieces?

Was just thinking..... How do you cut the stuff "neatly". Just offhand all I can think of would possibly crimp the edges in. The windflags I've seen look like the edges were cut with no pressure on them.

Will look forward to you hog pan wind indicator!  Smiley

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint