Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rolling bloch strength / is this possible??? (Read 10387 times)
Quisto56
Ex Member

Rolling bloch strength / is this possible???
Oct 16th, 2004 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Is this really possible or just a story  circulating and where could you find out for sure ?

The interlocking system of hammer and breech invented by Geiger had been strengthened and it was impossible to blow out a Remington rolling block breech with any of the ammunition of the time, however some were trying. The famous Belgian proof house at Li’ege loaded a .50 caliber from breech to muzzle with 750 grains of powder, 40 bullets and two wads. When the gun was fired, the director noted, "…nothing extraordinary occurred." Others tried various combinations of powder and oversized bullets. Some even filed the cartridges so they would explode in the chamber. No one ever succeeded in blowing the breech back or cracking the block.

Quisto56

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Re: Rolling bloch strength / is this possible???
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2004 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Quisto56,

I suppose if you try hard enuf you can blow up any gun. Especially those made from the older "soft" steels.

When Val Forgett first starting importing his RB's he set about having tests done by an independent lab to see what was possible. My memories a little short on the exact pressure they went up to, but it was at least 150,000 PSI. At that point the lab personnel refused to go any higher. The lock up system held altho some of the internal parts didn't survive. Of course these actions were made out of modern steels!

The point to remember is that when the original statement, and the Belgium test was made, about not being able to blow out a RB action, the highest PSI that could be obtained with BP was around 30,000 PSI. The RB action goes back well beyond smokeless powders invention. To the RB's credit tho it was able to survive well into the smokeless era, and even today is considered one of the stronger SS actions.

But, it does have it's problems which are a minor consideration today if you're only shooting smokeless. In the BP era one of Sharps advertising points was that if the firing pin ever got froze in the forward position on a RB you could end up with a slam-fire. Easily done considering BP's fouling and rusting qualities. Since the hammer has to be back when loading this would allow the breech block to rotate back and throw a lot of gas and brass back at the shooter.

PETE

IP Logged

Quisto56
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2004 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
I wasn't advocating trying to duplicate this feat  I was only wondering if this had really been done  750 grains of powder  seems a little hard to believe  even if it was black powder .I was under the impression that the Rolling Block  was not a very strong action and only slightly stronger  than a Ballard or trapdoor  and not even close to the strength of a sharps or the modern ruger #1 action.The rolling block is the action I have used in the past and have chosen to use in building a long range rifle for myself.I never try to hotrod any cartridge was just wondering  if it was true or not seemed unbelievable to me 

Quisto56

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2004 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Quisto56,

Well, I don't know if the test was true or not. Haven't heard, or read anything about it. Probably true tho as they did some pretty weird stuff back then. Similar things were done at Springfield Armory with the Rifle Muskets.

But, lets look at this test under the light of reason.

If the gun was a RB how was that much powder gotten into the gun? Would have to be Ml'ed in. How were 40 bullets loaded? Again ML'ed!  Plus two wads, for whatever reason they were needed. No wads would have had to have been needed unless the bullets were grossly undersized.

The big problem would be getting the mass of the bullets and powder moving. Since the bullets would have had to have been ML'ed they would be a slip fit in the barrel, and at most only a coupla bullets would have been expanded to a tight fit in the bore on ignition.

Under confinement BP doesn't burn very fast, and as mentioned, can't develop all that much pressure compared to smokeless. PLus it's pressure curve is fairly long compared to modern powders. In fact with that much of a powder charge it's very likely most of the powder charge was blown out the barrel, unless they had a very long barrel. As an example.... When I consulted a gunsmith when making up my .50/90 it was deterrmined that it would take a 34" barrel to completely burn 90 grs. of 1F Goex behind a 600 - 700 gr. bullet. If you've shot much BP you'll have noticed sometimes the "fireflies" coming out of the muzzle. This is powder burning outside the barrel. I wonder how much of this happened in the Belgian test?

So, even if the test were done it's not particularly valid!

To get to your question of RB strength....... I'll agree that it's not as strong as a modern Ruger. Different steels and design. Probably no "old" SS design would be as strong unless built of modern steels. But it's much stronger than a Ballard or Trapdoor, which are considered very weak. Probably only slightly less strong than a Sharps or High Wall, if that. Of course we are talking about guns that are within tolerance for their designs.

PETE

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2004 at 11:43am
Print Post  
The roller would/should handle anything we would be shooting !  Remember that the(#5) was  chambered for 7m/m . Of course, not all of us have a #5 so due care must be taken when using older actions. The Danish roller is another Strong roller action.  It like the #5 was made of steel rather than iron.   Ken

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2004 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
I gotta support Pete in everything he says. IMO the roller is exactly as he described it and could easily survive such a test.

Strength concerns with the roller fall into two or possibly three areas: cracking the frame, separating the case head, and blowing out the bottom of the chamber.

Some & maybe all of the early actions have a sharp corner at the front of the block/hammer mortise, where the sidewall sweeps up to meet the rear of the receiver ring. This is the most common spot for the receiver to crack under an overload and we should limit such actions to the lower-pressure cartridges. The later actions intended for the 7mm cartridge have a larger bbl thread & ring OD and, much more importantly, have no sharp edge or corner from which a crack can propagate easily.

The roller has a lot of lost motion built into it and can cause case-head separations VERY easily if an unwary handloader isn't careful. The 'spring' that's built into the action by virtue of its design can amount to quite a few thou, and then you must combine that with the amount of headspace necessary for reliable cartridge chambering and also any normal headspace left by the barrel fitter. Now add extra breechface thrust from a very-heavily-loaded cartridge and you can see that the breech can actually spring back as much as 0.020" under exceptional conditions.

The front of the brass case will be held to the chamber walls quite firmly when firing and if the pressure exceeds ~40-45,000 psi then the case head will follow the block back and the brass in front of it will be stretched accordingly or even split, it's certain that the case head will be stretched & bent if not ruptured.

So even though the action itself may hold the pressure just fine, it's still not a good idea to load a roller too heavily with smokeless unless chambered with minimum clearance all around. And anyone who handloads for a roller should be aware of the bent-case-head syndrome. It's usually not a problem with BP or with a snugly-fitted barrel though.

The third (possible) area of concern is the relief cut on the bottom of the chamber area of the barrel, where the block pin lies. Many 'gunsmiths' unintentionally make this relief cut entirely too large when rebarreling and can actually remove enough steel so that there's danger of the chamber blowing out at the bottom rear if cut for a larger cartridge and loaded very heavily. I've never seen or heard of this happening but it's possible.

I like rollers but they DO have their limitations.
ttfn, Joe

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2004 at 6:25am
Print Post  
Gentlemen;
If you want a roller chambered for a smokeless powder cartridge I would suggest you check out the Lone Star repro action by Dave Higginbotham. They are made of 8620 steel which while not the strongest alloy is certainly far stronger than the old stuff. Dave will chamber for rounds like .25-35, .30-30 and .30-40 all of which are below the 7mm pressure-wise.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 18th, 2004 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Joe,

Not being a gunsmith, or all that familiar with the RB I didn't feel qualified to go further in my rundown of that action. I'm glad you chimed in with some of the more common things that can cause problems. As is always said.... be sure and have a reputable gunsmith that's familiar with the problems of the RB, as Joe outlines, check it over before setting one up for any kind of shooting whether black or smokeless.

DonH,

An excellent idea. I've seen some of Dave's work and it's first rate. He will even work over your old action if you like. A friend re-contoured a 7mm action to a #1 contour, I believe it was, and then sent it down to Dave to have it barreled and finished in .50/90.

PETE
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2004 at 3:37pm by »  

IP Logged

Timberlake
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Quisto56 et al,

This is my first post on this site and quite glad I found this place.  Recognize many posters from elsewhere so I kind of feel right at home.

A fellow I know very well has a No. 5 Roller set up using the .223 Imp caliber.  He feels secure about this as the rounds' small diameter cannot impart too much thrust on the breech face.  Also straightening out the walls of the case would help keep thrust down.  This is one of his favorite dog rifles and has shot many thousands of rounds thru it.  He does keep his velocity at around 3200 using 55 gr bullets.  The rifle is incredibly accurate and a solid four tenths shooter.

Is this safe? Or are we just very lucky (I shoot next to him)?  One thing I have noticed is that the primers on spent rounds look funny, not much dent at all.

TL

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Dec 12th, 2004 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
A friend of mine told me he had a rolling block open up on him once, apparently there was enough recoil exerted on the firing pin to drive it back hard enough to open the block that locks the action .  Maybe it wasnt locked up properly to begin with , I wasnt there. Anybody else have that happen? Joe S

IP Logged

445supermag
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 13th, 2004 at 5:09am
Print Post  
The only way a block can open is if the hammer is driven back first. I have watched the hammers bounce back sum when firing. But i have never seeone open up. I have seen pic,s of roller made in belgem that  locks on the hammer foward so that it,s doesent bounce back. 
  My take is that it might be light hammer springs and warm loads.

IP Logged

ResearchPress

Reply #11 - Dec 13th, 2004 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Is this really possible or just a story  circulating and where could you find out for sure ?

No, it is not a rumour. It was reported by Charles Benjamin Norton, in his 1872 "American Breech-Loading Small Arms". The book quotes the following (I don't have the book but a magazine article that cites the reference):

The undersigned Director of the Proving-House for firearms at Liege, certifies having proved on behalf of Messrs. E. & L. Nagant, manufacturers of arms at Liege, a Reminton rifle, 50 cal as follows:-
1st proof, 90gr powder, 1 ball, 2 wads.
2nd proof, 750 grain powder, 40 balls, 2 wads.
The rifle has received the two coresponding stamps.
(Signed) ....... The Director
Liege Sept 29 1869   Alph. Polain.

There is an addendum to this statement added by the manufacturers.

The barrel could not receive a stronger charge, as the last one filled its entire length, 750 grains of powder and 40 balls occupying 36.31 inches.
(Signed)     EM & L.NAGANT

However if anyone requires proof that it is possible to destroy a rolling block see the following images!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Oh yes.... this happened in 1999. I understand the load was thirty grains of Bullseye.

David

David Minshall - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Firearms, long range target shooting and military history
IP Logged

Footloose
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Dec 14th, 2004 at 10:35am
Print Post  
  I Sure am glad I wasn't holding that one when it went off !  Was any one holding it are was it set up as a test ?
Footloose

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 14th, 2004 at 10:53am
Print Post  
David,

Just goes to show there's one born every minute! Lets hope this person doesn't reproduce and add to the gene pool!

PETE

IP Logged

ResearchPress

Reply #14 - Dec 14th, 2004 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
The rifle pictured was a .43 Egyptian Remington. It was fired by someone and thankfully there were only two relatively minor injuries. According to the report both of the injured parties were able to drive home from the hospital.

David

David Minshall - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Firearms, long range target shooting and military history
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint