Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Anyone using Floral Foam as an overpowder wad? (Read 12373 times)
Dale53
Oldtimer

Anyone using Floral Foam as an overpowder wad?
May 23rd, 2004 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Is anyone using Floral Foam as am over powder wad? The only way I can find it is in blocks that are probably 4" square or larger (I am speaking of the green, extremely frangible foam). I have heard of people using floral foam but no details as to how thick and how they seat the wad, etc. I am quite aware that ANY wad must be seated off the powder by .100"-.200".

I don't know if people run the foam thru a table saw to get uniform 1/2" thick or what. Any information should prove helpful.

Dale53

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

wder wad.
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2004 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Dale53,
   As you will recall, I use sheet cork O/P wads and IF I use a casemouth/bullet base wad, it is waxed cardboard (Juice carton.)  I have seen several shooters, especially noticing Chuck Blender, with thin sheets (1/8" give or take) but they are using those flush at the case mouth, more to keep the powder from dribbling out.  I can't recall ever seeing floral foam as an over-the-powder wad.  Undecided

Charlie and I are leaving his place about noon on Thursday, so maybe we will discuss wads on the 12 hour trip to E-G.  I'll be looking forward to seeing you there.

Regards,
the Frog

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Re: Anyone using Floral Foam as an overpowder wad?
Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2004 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
If you are shooting the .32 Miller Short a wad is almost  a necessity.  I cut my wads on a bandsaw to a thickness of 1/8 to less than 1/4 inch thick.  I don't seat it onto the powder but I know a lot of people shooting the Miller Short do seat it down to the powder.  I use wads in all the different cases I shoot when I am breech-seating bullets.  You do not have to be as carefull in inserting the case into the rifle.
mes

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2004 at 12:19am
Print Post  
GF;
I have been using a .060" cork wad or a .060" veggie fiber wad. One wad .100" off the powder and sometimes a case mouth wad, also. Was considering trying the floral foam but wanted to know the procedure how to handle it (it comes only in large blocks).

Dale53

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - May 24th, 2004 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Dale:  I use the floral foam  that comes in a brick shape about 
2 1/2  x 2 1/2 x 6".  I set up a fence on the band saw on the near side of the the blade and use the saws miter guage set at 90 degrees as the device to push the floral foam through the saw. 
In use I hold a thin sheet of the floral foam in one hand and using the charged case with a twisting motion to cut the wad out of the foam.  I use my forefinger of the hand holding the sheet of foam as a stop for the case once it cuts through the foam.   
I usually leave it at the mouth of the case but have seated it down onto the powder or at various distances off the powder.  If I seat it down a bit I cut a thicker sheet to obviate powder loss. This is all for my .32-40 Lee which is 1.3 inches long.  For longer cases or bottle necked cases I leave it at the case mouth.
mes

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - May 24th, 2004 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
mes;
I used a friend's band saw and cut the two blocks into strips 1/4" thick. Really easy to do as you suggest. I pushed the case thru the strip with almost NO resistance. Works quite well. I'll probably seat this .100" off the powder and use a .060" veggie wad at the mouth of the case for bullet base protection.

In case I neglected to mention it, I am using a .32/.357 Dell (VERY similar to a .32 Miller Short). I'm using 11.0 grs of Carbine Ball and a Federal 205M primer. It'll be interesting to see how this works at Etna Green. I'm using a Hoch tapered flat nose bullet at 201 grs. with my alloy (25/1). Emmert's lube.

Dale53
Dale53

IP Logged

rapud
Participating Member

Reply #6 - May 24th, 2004 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
I have been using floral foam both in the neck and on the powder for my .32/40 and breech seated bullets.  There are two types of floral foam, one is intended for dried flower arrangements and is a open cell design with some rigidity. The other is very fragile, and extremely fine cell structure, and is intended for wet arrangements.  The latter on is the one you want to use, it weighs next to nothing.  It takes little effort to drive your finge completely through the block.  I slice off 1/8" thick wafers using a Xacto  break away razor knive, with blade fully extended.  A 1/8" thick wad for the .32/40 weighs less than a grain.  Merely press th charged case into the foam wafer sheet and press it down, or just leave it in the neck.  If seating over the powder press it down carefully because it is verrry frangiable. 
When you ignite it in a open flame it turns black, adding nothing to the combustion, and merely crumbles away when touched.
When fired in the rifle the carbonaceous deposit appears around the case mouth.  I have seen no detectable extra deposits in the barrel.  It works better than cotton, and I feel it produces more consistent results.  Remember, you want the foam for WET use, of course, we use it dry.

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - May 24th, 2004 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
I use the very fine cell stuff that you wet for cut flowers..  It crumbles to next to nothing when crushed in the hand.  I have a friend who cuts and  uses the rigid stuff in the same manner that I use the fine cell foam.  It seems to work fine for him but I would think you would have more residue with the rigid stuff.
mes

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

45auto
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2004 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Dale, I also use the floral foam, but instead of a bandsaw, I use a  wire cheese slicer we have that's mounted on a  cutting board. lots less mess for me to clean up, and it's easy to cut consistent slices.
Mike

My job is so difficult that it's not really possible, but I somehow manage to pull it off time and time again. I couldn't even begin to explain what I do as that's even more difficult.

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2004 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Mike;
Using a cheese cutter is a slick tip! Thank you.

So far, the foam wads seem to be working well. It has solved the problem of fine grain ball powder leaking past a conventional wad, being deposited in the chamber interfering with inserting a case in the chamber.

Dale53

IP Logged

stevenjay1
Ex Member

Living in the woods!

Reply #10 - Jul 13th, 2004 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
I find this topic very interesting as I'm always looking for the better mouse trap!  As you can see I'm new to this forum but I am a fairly knowledgeable reloader.  The one question that comes to mind is...can the floral foam be used with both smokeless and black powder loads.  My primary goal would be to use it in large case smokeless loads, i.e. 45/70 with a light load of 3031 or 4198 to keep the powder next to the primer. I look forward to your opinions.  Thanks, Steve

Just another homesick Texan that shouldn't of left in the first place!
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club - 8/69 to 8/71
NRA Life Member
CRPA Member

IP Logged

Smruf
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
I found in the fake flower section of Wal-Mart all kinds of floral foam from 15/16's thick to 4 inches. raseonablly priced too.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #12 - Jan 28th, 2005 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
One of our club members used nothing but floral foam successfully for years; but then one day he ringed his .323 Smith barrel. 

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #13 - Jan 28th, 2005 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Dave-  Any real analysis done of the ringing?  ie: where located, powder charge, BS or fixed ammo, prior shot, other factors?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #14 - Jan 29th, 2005 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Singleshot

Charlie Dell did a lot of testing on chamber ringing. There is a  chapter on it in his book second edition. One of his findings was that the ringing was for the most part a cumulative effect. They can be produced all at once but for the most part they are done a little at a time untill they become noticeable.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #15 - Jan 29th, 2005 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Harvey T. used floral foam  on top of his powder loads and ended up with a ringed chamber after approximately 20,000 rounds.
He only breech seated.  He was using 32/40 style cases made out of 30-30 cases. I cannot confirm the details since Harvey is down south for the winter.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint